Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using NUC code when abroad

SuzanneS
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

RE. an NUC code not working. My daughter has taken my old Samsung with her to Thailand as a back-up phone if her other phone  gets stolen or damaged. Sure enough she needs to use it. On putting in a Sim there, it didn't work and has asked for an NUC code to unblock the phone.  So, I filled in the form to receive NUC code so she can unlock the phone. This NUC code did not work.!!!! And now she's been blocked through too many attempts.   What are next steps. Why didn't it work? 

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

If the phone is at 0 attempts then it's hardlocked and will need Vodafone uk to send it off to have it's counter reset so a Nuc can be tried again.

She could try a shop that advertises they unlock phone's to all Network's where she is now.

Or buy a cheap phone to put her on until she returns to the UK.

Just to add some Samsung also need a mck i.e mastercode as well as the nuc to unlock it which is something to bear in mind if you try unlocking it again when the counter has been reset @SuzanneS 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your response. So why is why it why didn't Vodafone tell me I would need this Master-cide first. That is truly NUTS. I feel really cross about that !

AnnS

Yes @SuzanneS quite agree, the Master code should have been provided with the NUC, this is something mentioned and raised on this forum previously.

You are also welcome for my unedited first reply.

Like I've said to BandofBrothers. It really isn't THAT hard to let customers know this could be the case.!!!  I don't get these people. Thanks for your support.

AnnS

Hi @SuzanneS 

There is no reason for being unable to use an unlock code overseas, it's the phone software that unlocks the phone, it's not dependent on the network.

What has most likely happened here is being a Samsung phone it would have needed an MSK Master Code to be entered before using the NUC.  Unfortunately, if the phone is hard locked to Vodafone UK, it will be needed to be taken into a Vodafone Store for the counter to be reset and this would probably be chargeable.  She can try a local unlocking service, they may be able to help.

Unfortunately, this may mean purchasing a cheap phone to use a local SIM whilst she is away.

Thanks so much for this. Why I wasn't given a Mastercode boggles the mind ....... !!!!

BandOfBrothers

Because not all Samsung phones need the mck @SuzanneS 

The same model can sometimes unlock without a mck.

Thankfully now all phone's have to be unlocked out of the box.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Maybe they don't ALL need them.  But that isn't very helpful - they could at least forewarn us that if the number doesn't work, we are likely to need a MasterCode.  It's not rocket-science!!! .  Instead, we are now left with a blocked phone.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there @SuzanneS - I'm sorry to hear about the issues your daughter's having with this. I understand how important it is to stay connected, especially when travelling. 

Please contact my team on social media so we can have a chat about it and double check if we can help further - to save you repeating yourself, you can also include a link to your post and your community username too 🙂