cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Apple Watch OneNumber Dropping Data Plan - What is going on?

cam1210
2: Seeker

I've got an apple watch series 5 cellular that I subscribe to Vodafone OneNumber to use cellular data. This keeps losing the data plan for no reason. I'll use it one day, then switch it on the next day and there is no cellular data. Under Mobile Data, the watch will say "No SIM, No connection" and on the watch app on the phone, there is no data plan and "vodafone UK" appears in the list "Data Plans Not in Use".

I then have to contact customer services, faff about with a long EID number and a sim swap process and then unpair and pair my watch, reinstall all my payment cards and reset the damn thing up. The process takes about an hour each time it happens.

Why is this happening? Is it at vodafone's end? This never used to happen with my old carrier EE.

15 REPLIES 15

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

I can well understand how that would be frustrating for you @cam1210 which obviously shouldn't be happening.

As a process of elimination you have an Apple Genius Bar Employee have hands on with the watch to make sure it's not the watch at issue.

If they find the watch to be working as described then your recourse is then with Vodafone customer services and or the Vodafone Social Media Team's via Twitter or Facebook to get this issue sorted with your account. I appreciate your having to do this now but hopefully something they do will lave a longer lasting effect with your services.

Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

Some possible help links.

How-fix-cellular-not-working-on-apple-watch. 

And

From apple.com/thread/ discussions 

“ lthere is a setting that puts the watch on ''power saving mode'' and disconnect it from the internet. once you cancel it, it's working fine.

via the watch, go to settings -> workout -> and turn off the ''power saving mode'' that disconnect the cellular during walking and running workouts.

life is good.

I wish you all the best with this.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks for your reply.

No, I've done this previously...apple claim it is not a problem with the watch and I'm inclined to believe them based on the time I was with my previous carrier. I don't have power savings mode activated and I always keep the watch well charged. One day it will work perfectly, the next day I'll switch it on and find the cellular data plan has gone. On the phone app, vodafone UK appears in the "Plans not in use" list and the watch says "No SIM, No connection". This leads to a whole process to get it reconnected. I'm still without data today waiting for the sim swap.

What is really frustrating me is that nobody at customer services seems to know or will tell me why the problem has repeatedly happened. They give me the procedure to fix that instance, then it repeats. I kept asking today can they tell me why this is happening and they refuse to go beyond their script or tell me who i should contact to get some answers. I am highly suspicious it is a vodafone back-end system problem or my OneNumber data plan is being cancelled somehow but nobody will confirm or deny this.

I’ve just noticed that this has happened to me.

was a solution forthcoming?

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Hawkeyes - My team can have a look at the set up on your account to make sure it's still as it should be. Please send us a message on Social Media

Same here. it's driving me nuts

Hey @gjwell If you're experiencing the same issues, please contact the Social Media team here so this can be looked into and resolved for you. 

ANDYTRUEREDT

Exactly the same happening here. Twice in a couple of months. I don’t always notice straight away as I don’t often need to make a call without my phone present. Every time I have needed to I have discovered the SIM to be not in use. Call to Vodafone last time (started with chatbot) took hours. Not happy. Moved from EE where all worked perfectly. 

@ANDYTRUEREDT - thanks for reaching out about this. I can understand why this is frustrating and you shouldn't have to spend so long trying to get it fixed. 

If this happens again, then please come and talk to us through Social Media. We can then identify why it's losing connection. 

swords1010
4: Newbie

Same issue here. Recurring. It is happened at least three times recently. And on top of it the SIM swap process on My Vodafone stopped working correctly too so I have to make a call every time my plan goes to “not in use”. Definitely a bug on Vodafone’s side. The entire Apple Watch experience with Vodafone is abominable ☹️ No native integration with the Watch App Data plan activation process - have to do a sim swap via EID every time, No international roaming support, Plan gets dropped all the time. It’s a mess.