cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

First esim casualty, be warned everyone don't remove data plan.

Maxsquared
4: Newbie

Hi all,

I recently sim swapped my sim to an esim, as I want to take the advantage of not taking 2 phones with me everywhere for personal and work.

There are some downside of esim that I wasn't aware of, resulting I don't have an active number now, so I want to share my experience here and everyone don't make the same mistake.

I follow the instruction and activated the esim via email QR code. It took 10 mins, thank you Vodafone for making the activation almost painless. After activation, I had made a couple of test calls and online was fine, so I took out my old sim (at this point the old sim's already deactivated). Then I went to my iPhone settings to do some clean ups. Here I accidentally deleted the data plan associated with the esim as I thought it was associated with my old sim card.Then I thought no big deal, I will just scan the QR code again as suggested here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/esim/activate-my-esim

Nope, by scan the QR code again doesn't work, I keep getting an error: unable to complete data plan change iphone. I had done some research online and discovered that some carriers uses generic QR codes and it can be reactivated, but some carriers like Vodafone, uses unique QR code and can be only used once. In between, I tried log back onto my Vodafone to do sim swap again, but as I don't have an active sim, I can't receive security code via text message, I tried online technical chat, a few people try to help, but seems clueless, they were surprised that Vodafone even have eSim for phones. One guy literally tried to teach me how to put a sim card in a sim tray and how to put it to the phone.

The final solution for me is to go to a nearby store to get a new physical sim so I can transfer it to an esim again.

So 2 take aways here:

1. Don't remove data plan if you are on eSim.

2. Instruction on Vodafone website is incorrect, please update: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/esim/activate-my-esim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

It's great to hear that everyone managed to get sorted - if anyone needs information on setting up an eSIM, you can check our website here 👍

For more information on what we offer and the benefits of the eSIM - our news centre is a great read! 

View solution in original position

42 REPLIES 42

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Maxsquared We'll be able to reactivate your old SIM if you still have it. You'll then be able to swap back over to your eSIM. Just pop us a private message via Facebook or Twitter and we'll be happy to get this sorted for you 😊

I was under the impression having spoken to vofafone less than a week ago that esims only worked in the apple watch and esims on mobile phones was not supported? in says int the advert for the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 ultra than you can have an esim working in it, but when I spoke to  online adviser he said that it doesn't?

It's new, went live yesterday I think.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/esim

How did you get the QR code? I've searched the website but can't find how I buy one.

I've been waiting for this for 2 years! Is it possible to buy an eSIM with a new number attached to it, rather than swapping from the existing physical SIM?

Lots of questions. But first how do I order one?

Thanks.

You don’t need to buy one just login to your account on Vodafone.co.uk then account settings then sim swap and choose esim and you will get an email with your qr code. 

remember once swapped don’t remove data plan like I did. 

Sure.

But is there no way to order an esim like a normal sim? For example, the number I have now on my physical sim I would like to keep on the physical sim. But I would like a new number on the esim. 

Also, do you know what happens when you change phones with the esim? 

I think you can get a new line, then you will then get a new sim, once you received the new sim and the new number, you then be able to convert it to a eSim.

I think Apple has a transfer data plan functionality. Or I think you just ask Vodafone to give you a new physical sim then convert it to eSim once you receive the new sim.

I’ve now managed to convert 2 of my Vodafone numbers to esims without any issue. First one took a few hours , second was done with an hour. Both working on different phones ,IOS and Android.

simax
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

One of the advocated benefits of an e-sim is supposedly saving plastic use. However it seems you need a physical sim first anyway to convert to e-sim, thus making that argument totally redundant?!