cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

First esim casualty, be warned everyone don't remove data plan.

Maxsquared
4: Newbie

Hi all,

I recently sim swapped my sim to an esim, as I want to take the advantage of not taking 2 phones with me everywhere for personal and work.

There are some downside of esim that I wasn't aware of, resulting I don't have an active number now, so I want to share my experience here and everyone don't make the same mistake.

I follow the instruction and activated the esim via email QR code. It took 10 mins, thank you Vodafone for making the activation almost painless. After activation, I had made a couple of test calls and online was fine, so I took out my old sim (at this point the old sim's already deactivated). Then I went to my iPhone settings to do some clean ups. Here I accidentally deleted the data plan associated with the esim as I thought it was associated with my old sim card.Then I thought no big deal, I will just scan the QR code again as suggested here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/esim/activate-my-esim

Nope, by scan the QR code again doesn't work, I keep getting an error: unable to complete data plan change iphone. I had done some research online and discovered that some carriers uses generic QR codes and it can be reactivated, but some carriers like Vodafone, uses unique QR code and can be only used once. In between, I tried log back onto my Vodafone to do sim swap again, but as I don't have an active sim, I can't receive security code via text message, I tried online technical chat, a few people try to help, but seems clueless, they were surprised that Vodafone even have eSim for phones. One guy literally tried to teach me how to put a sim card in a sim tray and how to put it to the phone.

The final solution for me is to go to a nearby store to get a new physical sim so I can transfer it to an esim again.

So 2 take aways here:

1. Don't remove data plan if you are on eSim.

2. Instruction on Vodafone website is incorrect, please update: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/esim/activate-my-esim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

It's great to hear that everyone managed to get sorted - if anyone needs information on setting up an eSIM, you can check our website here 👍

For more information on what we offer and the benefits of the eSIM - our news centre is a great read! 

View solution in original position

42 REPLIES 42

Tried to move from SIM to ESIM and now wish that I never started the process. The setup on the website went well, my SIM got deactivated in minutes, but thirty hours on, I’ve not received any email with the QR code and have had no mobile service for thirty hours! Tried support; very nice, but not very effective people. Raised a complaint and now been told that it could be another forty hours before I get service again as”this is all new and not working very well” . I’m giving it till nine tomorrow, if there’s no resolution by then I’ll have to look at more drastic options unfortunately. Same thing on a competitors network took 5 minutes..

Hi @Jhoran, it sounds like the ball is rolling and we're sorry that this has lead to a complaint. If you contact us over Twitter or Facebook, we would love to see if there is an update for you. You can find all the contact details here 🙂

Now over forty hours with no service Thanks for your reply, I wish it was rolling.

Fixing this, is currently going nowhere with responses from the help line of “this service is new, we don’t currently know how to fix it” really inspiring confidence. Getting close to going elsewhere 

Forty eight hours plus and still no sign of anything working. Won’t be going down the ESIM route in the future on Vodafone as the systems managing them at Vodafone seem to be totally broke.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

I'm sorry to see this is ongoing for you @Jhoran! We can take a closer look into the progress of this for you - have you sent us a message via Twitter or Facebook Messenger through the link @MarkD gave above? 

If you have, please ensure your Community username is included along with a link to your post and you won't need to write out your query again.

Once we have your details we'll access your account securely and can provide you with an update on your move to the eSIM. We've got processes in place to resolve any errors or delays with any eSIM queries, so please be assured we'll be able to help with getting this sorted. While we may not be able to intervene with our Complaints team's investigations, we can give you some further insight on the steps we're taking and chase this up if needed.

I am having the same problem YET AGAIN!

I have 2 numbers, a physical sim number for perso use and en eSIM for work.

When I upgraded from iPhone 11 to iPhone 12 Pro, I had the same issue as I currently am on my new iPhone 13 Pro: unable to swap eSIM to new iPhone. The QR code doesn't work and says that it has already been used (again, just like last time).....and now the kicker is that I can no longer receive texts on the number I am trying to swap because it is no longer working!

The last time, I spent HOURS speaking to Vodafone, and all they would do is send me a new QR code and reassure me that it would work this time. In the end, I had to transfer my eSIM to a physical SIM and then transfer that physical SIM to an eSIM to get it to work, which is not the most customer friendly solution.

I find it absolutely shocking that Vodafone has not sorted this issue out, and even more shocking that the information on their website is flawed.

I have now been waiting well over an hour for help via Twitter and am not a happy customer at present, to say the least.

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

After you using the QR code from the pdf or the one displayed on screen? Only the pdf one works. 

simax
14: Advanced member
14: Advanced member

Enter the 2 codes in the PDF that’s been sent to you. Those are the only ones that work. After you’ve done that you’ll be fine.

Several hours on, I still have not received any pdf, which happened to me the last time I upgraded.

I had to phone customer service, who was able to send me a pdf, but the code would not work.

m3centurion
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I share your pain as I did exactly the same thing.  I've used eSim for the last 2 years, on EE and O2 without any drama, but as soon as I move to Vodafone everything goes wrong.  When I first installed the eSIM I thought everything was fine but realised that some important features were missing.  I can't make outgoing calls, send text messages or enable data.  I can receive calls so that must be a bonus.

Everyone I speak with at Vodafone technical support, seem to have the same answer, which is 'it should be sorted in 24 hours'. I'm now in my 4th day and still no resolution.  Like you I tried to re-installed the eSIM using the QR code as instructed by Vodafone which failed.  So visited my local store where the number was transferred to  a physical SIM.  I'm now back to using 2 phones and still cannot make outgoing calls.  Guess what technical support said?  Yep you're right - It should fix itself in 24 hours.  The way things are going it is going to take a week at least to get this sorted.

I wish I stayed with O2