cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

First esim casualty, be warned everyone don't remove data plan.

Maxsquared
4: Newbie

Hi all,

I recently sim swapped my sim to an esim, as I want to take the advantage of not taking 2 phones with me everywhere for personal and work.

There are some downside of esim that I wasn't aware of, resulting I don't have an active number now, so I want to share my experience here and everyone don't make the same mistake.

I follow the instruction and activated the esim via email QR code. It took 10 mins, thank you Vodafone for making the activation almost painless. After activation, I had made a couple of test calls and online was fine, so I took out my old sim (at this point the old sim's already deactivated). Then I went to my iPhone settings to do some clean ups. Here I accidentally deleted the data plan associated with the esim as I thought it was associated with my old sim card.Then I thought no big deal, I will just scan the QR code again as suggested here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/esim/activate-my-esim

Nope, by scan the QR code again doesn't work, I keep getting an error: unable to complete data plan change iphone. I had done some research online and discovered that some carriers uses generic QR codes and it can be reactivated, but some carriers like Vodafone, uses unique QR code and can be only used once. In between, I tried log back onto my Vodafone to do sim swap again, but as I don't have an active sim, I can't receive security code via text message, I tried online technical chat, a few people try to help, but seems clueless, they were surprised that Vodafone even have eSim for phones. One guy literally tried to teach me how to put a sim card in a sim tray and how to put it to the phone.

The final solution for me is to go to a nearby store to get a new physical sim so I can transfer it to an esim again.

So 2 take aways here:

1. Don't remove data plan if you are on eSim.

2. Instruction on Vodafone website is incorrect, please update: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/esim/activate-my-esim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

It's great to hear that everyone managed to get sorted - if anyone needs information on setting up an eSIM, you can check our website here 👍

For more information on what we offer and the benefits of the eSIM - our news centre is a great read! 

View solution in original position

42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Our Social Media team will always try and respond as quickly as possible @fabioscala, but as they aren't a Live Chat service, there can be a delay in response times. They are definitely the best team to get this sorted for you, so I'd recommend hanging on in there 😊

razz
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, i think i have already fallen into that trap and there doesnt seem to be a way out. I cant delete the plan and when i try to add a plan via the supplied QR code it wont let me add. 

chistery
16: Advanced member

What have you done and trying to do razz? If your phone has an eSIM plan why are you trying to add one?

i swapped physical sim for an esim, neither work now

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey @razz, oh no! I'm sure we can get this sorted for you. Could you drop us a message on social media here so we can access your account and see what's what?

Make sure to include a link to this forum along with your forum username, and your mobile/account number. A screenshot of any errors you are getting would be helpful as well 😊

I requested a esim and it was an absolute disaster!  I requested the esim and received it within 6 hours, bearing in mind my old sim had been deactivated, the esim did not work - After speaking with Vodafone for over 2 hours, some of the agents even were arguing with me and I had to tell them to look at their own website as they assured me they don't support esim I eventually managed to get a physical sim re-sent.  I was without service for just over 4 days!  I really want the esim but worried it won't work again!  Also, as per previous posters, a lot of the Vodafone online chat/account requires SMS verification, bit difficult to do when your sim has been deactivated. 

OK, so I have been through the procedure.

The agent on the phone wasn't aware of the new eSim feature and said that it was only available for the Apple Watch. Clearly, some internal training is still needed.

I got them to set me up with a new regular sim only plan. Received the sim today and proceeded to do the sim swap to eSim. The easiest option is to have the sim for sure so you can receive the security text but there is a way to do it without the sim by filling out a sim swap form. So, it would seem this can be done without the physical sim, albeit less conveniently and probably less quickly I would guess. As I had the sim I placed into a spare phone, received the security text and within a few minutes received an email with the QR code. Scanned the QR code with my iPhone XS Max and it was up and running within a few minutes.

Not too much drama after all.

TJ

It's great to hear that everyone managed to get sorted - if anyone needs information on setting up an eSIM, you can check our website here 👍

For more information on what we offer and the benefits of the eSIM - our news centre is a great read! 

donnyguy

I have a questioned based on the experiences of people using eSim and would like to share my thoughts to see if I'm understanding (from a perspective of what to do if you accidentally delete the profile)

1. You start with your physical SIM

2. You follow the process, request the move to eSim via your My Vodafone and get the QR code

3. You then move to eSim and live happily ever after

But I then read stories of people who accidentally deleted their eSim profile and had to proceed to going back to a physical sim to then move to eSim.

So my question is:

• If you added an additional mobile contact number to your My Vodafone profile (which is possible) then you can have this number appear in the list of numbers the portal wants to text so sign you in 
  • If you accidentally deleted your profile, could you log back into My Vodafone (using the alternative number for text validation) and then simply generate a new sim swap to a new eSim QR code

So basically: 

• Is the barrier locking yourself out of your My Vodafone account or
  • Is the barrier more related to a text being required to be sent to the number you're wanting to sim swap?

If the latter then my thoughts are pointless 🙂 

You can log in to Vodafone with a text to the alternative number, but you cannot process the sim swap with a confirmation to the alternative number, as a text is only sent to your number that you are switching.

Of course if this esim is not active because you have deleted it then you wont receive it.

Vodafone need to update the text on their sim swap page. As the text below isn't correct.

If you've accidentally deleted your eSIM, simply scan the QR code we sent you with your confirmation email to re-download it.

You can't reuse the same QR code, at least for me it didn't work, I tried it a few days ago.

Does anyone know what happens when you switch to another phone? And what the process might be?