Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Mobile shows 4G signal but no internet access

docrox22
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

My iphone 6s suddenly stopped accessing internet using my data package.  The phone shows full signal with 4G and I've checked and there's not a network issue.  

I've phoned 191 and followed their advice - rebooted my phone, reset network settings, reinstalled the APN profile - but still doesn't work.  I went into a vodafone store but all they could suggest was a new SIM card.  That hasn't helped.

Weirdly it happened 30mins after I had to phone 191 to make sure I didn't lose my entertainment pack.  Not sure if the call assistant has done something to my account settings by mistake but they look ok when I check the vodafone app.

Has anyone got any ideas?  I'm pulling my hair out!!

Thanks 🙂

79 REPLIES 79

Hi, who do I need to contact to resolve this on my mother’s iPhone.

ive swapped sims between mine and my mums phone and my mums sims data won’t work in my phone or hers how every still shows 4G data.

I’ve had a new SIM card for my mums phone and still the same issue too.

Ive also checed my bill and it shows that no mobile data has been used at all either and it’s clearly turned on and shows 4G.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@Dark79 

Are you able to try your sim cards in another phone as a further process of elimination  ?

Can you try turning Off 4G in the phones system settings to force 3G to see if that helps.

That and or try going into the iPhones settings , Reset and Reset Network Settings.

A Google Search should bring more self help troubleshooting tips if this issue isn't your Vodafone account settings.

Ultimately it would be Customer Support on 191 or Live Chat that can access your accounts to check things from their side.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Dark79 

As you have tried your Mother's SIM in your phone with the same results, it looks like an account issue where data access needs to be provisioned against the account or a restriction.  

The first place to look will be the online account under bars, this will confirm if a bar has been added for internet access.

Either way, live chat or Customer Services will be able to provide the necessary account access.

All, in case anyone else is struggling here is an update:

• I finally gave up trying to use the old Blackberry Bold 9900 with Vodafone PAYG 1 because it looks like I needed to subscribe to BB services with Vodafone (at £5 per month) - not what I wanted.  I put a GiffGaff SIM card in and immediately got 3G access (that's all the Bold 9900 is good for) and I could access the internet.
  • Since then I have put the Voda PAYG SIM back into a Samsung S4 Mini because it is really a back up SIM and it connects giving me H+ data on a 4G enabled handset.  I have tried my Voda PAYM SIM in the S4 mini handset and it gets 4G as does an O2 PAYG SIM so I KNOW that it is 4G enabled handset and capable - and we are in a good 4G area in the middle of town
  • I put the Voda PAYG SIM into me main handset (Samsung S7) and it only gets H+ access, not the 4G signal that I get with my main PAYM SIM
  • I have responded to a PM sent by a moderator with the above info and I am now waiting for a reply and a solution
  • There are various bits of contradictory information on the Voda main website as to whether a PAYG SIM gets 4G access directly OR if the purchase of a Big Value Bundle (or similar) is necessary.  I don't really want to do this at the moment because the PAYG 1 SHOULD geive me everything I need from a back up PAYG SIM IF it gives 4G without a bundle - but does it???
  • So, I am waiting a response from Voda moderators with their advice and / or solution

I will update this thread with anything I get back with a full explanation of what the problem is / was and how to resolve it if I can

Frank

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@frankst237 So we can check we've got your email, please let us know the reference (looks like [#11234567]) from the auto response you received and we'll chase this for you.

Hi Mark,

Yesterday (27th) I received an email from Louie in Vodafone Social Media telling me that a 4 digit PIN had been sent to my PAYG SIM (ending 082) and would I supply it back to them.  I did this by replying to the email.  The reference number on that email is [#18349382].

I assume Louie (or the Social Media team) will be responding in due course.

Regards,

Frank

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@frankst237 That's great to hear 😊

Absolutely - as soon as we reach your email, a member of the team will be in touch again to help you further. 

Hi, same issue for me. Full signal, no 4G using a data only sim in a 4G router. This worked fine when I first got the sim, but I changed price plan in January and haven't tried to use it since (it's set up in my dad's house to provide rural broadband). Neither of us are around much to test it, so nobody has tried to use it in about 6 weeks, when he said it wasn't working. Presumably it's therefore not been working for over 2 months...

It's definitely an issue with the sim, as my Three sim works in the router and the Vodafone sim doesn't work when I put it in a mobile phone (despite again having signal and setting up the APN using the settings on the Vodafone website). Please can someone look into this if you PM me the details as you have done for others?

Thanks!

All,

My problem with my PAYG SIM has been resolved.  I was contacted by Vodafone Social Media reps who 'reset' the SIM.  This apparently involved detaching it from the network and reattaching (and maybe some other magic in the background) but it has worked.

This resulted in me receiving several text messages to the SIM telling me that it had been converted to a PAYG One account and that the Content Controls had been lifted - this was bringing it in line with the original, pre-problem settings.

I switched the handset off, rebooted and sucess - immediate 4G mobile data signal in a suitable handset.

This problem took almost 3 weeks to resolve overall (some of which was down to me confusing the issue with getting Blackberry services switched on I suspect) but the end result is good.

During the time I couln't get 4G I was still able to get H+ which is still a pretty good signal.

I am ultimately happy with the result (because as I have said all along, this is NOT my main SIM) but if this had been my main SIM and I wanted the best speeds possible it would have been a real nuisance (albeit not a real problem because of being able to still get H+ access).

So, I can't honeslt explain what the Vodafone team did but thanks to them for doing it.  Becasue I can't explain, it simply comes down to using the forum as a way to escalate the problem to the right areas and to get it fixed.

Good luck to anyone else who has the same / similar problem.

Frank

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@wincelow We'll be happy to take a closer look into things with your 4G for you.

I've sent you a private message with the details to reach our team. We'll be in touch to help with this.

Thanks for updating the thread @frankst237 - I'm happy to hear we were able to get things sorted for you :Smiling: You know where to find us should you need anything in the future!