Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

5G wifi internet. Crippling Upload speeds

JFarfang0
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi. I have a Vodafone 5G sim. My 5G coverage is good at the moment. I get good download speeds of over 100mbps sometimes 250mb... but my upload speeds are close to nothing. I spoke with Customer service and updated my APN to Vodafone Internet. My standard is Vodafone UK data. Or is there a DNS thing I need to add? How do I close that massive gap between download and upload speeds on my 5G router? I am forced to use the 5G wifi signal to work from home, as my building only has old telephone broadband cabling and no fiber. I don't think a new SIM will solve it. I have a ZTE 5888 router. I'm all up for new ideas so I can finally be able to work from home without interruptions. Thanks. 

7 REPLIES 7

a1star
1: Seeker

I ended up having the same problem with other cards/drivers. I ended up deciding the problem was with my internet provider, so I left them. (It was MetroNet, by the way.) They had no way of verifying on their end that they were providing me with the correct speeds, so I assume the problem was them. I had the same issue on multiple computers, multiple network cards, etc.

@a1star wrote:

I ended up having the same problem with other cards/drivers. I ended up deciding the problem was with my internet provider, so I left them. (It was MetroNet, by the way.) They had no way of verifying on their end that they were providing me with the correct speeds, so I assume the problem was them. I had the same issue on multiple computers, multiple network cards, etc. https://vshare.onl/ 

I got this,...

casse
1: Seeker

I also have 5G Home and am experiencing exactly what OP mentioned. Have not had time to dig into it yet, but I doubt it is hardware related. I do have Fi on phone and it runs on Tmobile, and have similar scenario.

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Have a double check to see if there are any network issues in your area that might be effecting the speeds. You can search here: https://vodafone.uk/330ItxS Zoom out to see if there is anything in the surrounding area. 

My signal is good indoors/outdoors. I get over100mbps + downloads BUT 0.5mpbs on upload. My ping is around 35. I recently bought Nord VPN and used Jersey. And my upload went up to 8mbps .  But my ping increased also. I'm very close to cancel my contract, as I am on my first week. Vodafone needs to tell me now if they're capping my upload data. Just be honest.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for checking @JFarfang0 and explaining what's happening. So we can check your account and also go through some additional checks with you, please send us a message over on one of our Social Channels

BawejaMedia-
4: Newbie

It sounds like you've already taken some steps to troubleshoot the issue, which is great. Here are a few more things you can try to improve your upload speeds:

1. Check Router Settings: Make sure your router is configured properly for 5G connectivity. Sometimes, there might be specific settings related to 5G that need to be adjusted for optimal performance. You can refer to the router's manual or contact the manufacturer for assistance with this.

2. Signal Strength: Ensure that your router is placed in an area with good signal strength. If the signal is weak, it can impact both download and upload speeds. Try moving the router to a different location to see if it improves the situation.

3. External Antenna: If your router supports it, consider attaching an external antenna to improve signal reception. This can sometimes help boost upload speeds, especially if the router is located in an area with poor signal coverage.

4. Firmware Update: Check if there are any firmware updates available for your router. Sometimes, updating the firmware can resolve performance issues and improve overall stability.

5. Network Congestion: Consider the time of day you're experiencing slow upload speeds. If it's during peak hours when many people are using the network, it could be due to network congestion. You may notice better speeds during off-peak hours.

6. Contact Your ISP: If you've tried all of the above and are still experiencing slow upload speeds, it might be worth reaching out to your ISP again. They may be able to provide further assistance or investigate if there are any network issues affecting your area. Also, check out Baweja Media.