Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Old number hasn’t transferred to new SIM card

ryoukarla
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Recently purchased new iPhone and transferred from EE to Vodafone. I gave them the pac code to transfer the old number to my new SIM [Removed]

They told me the number would be transferred today. This seems to be half true, as the old number has been deactivated, however the new SIM card still uses the new number.

Is there a good way to get in contact with someone from Vodafone that doesn’t involve typing to a bot. I’ve rang 191 and been put in a queue only to be kicked when I was next in line. Any help is appreciated.

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove inappropriate content please see Community Guidelines]

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @ryoukarla 

Try a soft reboot by turning the phone Off and On.

It can occasionally take up to midnight for the change to happen. 

Live Chat or the Vodafone Social Media Teams via Facebook Messenger or Twitter DM can check your account.

Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries. 

What-happens-on-the-day-my-number-moves-to-Vodafone. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @ryoukarla 

Vodafone would have send a text notification to let you know your ported number was transferred to the network, porting usually happens late in the afternoon so should be completed now.

To solve this problem is easy, you just need to change the number on your iphone settings, Settings > phone > my number and make sure the correct number is showing there.  Follow this with synronising to Finder and you should have the correct number showing.

Further information for you here: Welcome to Vodafone - Getting Started 

Hi,

I maybe in a similar situation to you.

I just upgraded to a new iPhone SE and signed up to a new contract with Vodafone from EE last week. I ported my old number when I received the new SIM at the weekend, and received the ‘great news - your number is now on our network’ text yesterday (Monday 18th July). However, in the settings > phone section my iPhone is stating that my mobile number is the temporary number that came with the new SIM card and it hasn’t changed as of yet. The weird thing is if I put my old EE SIM into my new phone it changes the number in my settings to the one that I want to port over. If I call anyone my old number appears correctly and I’ve checked on the Vodafone app and it says that my old number has ported over successfully.

In the send & receive section of messages, my old number (the one I’ve ported over to Vodafone) is constantly ‘waiting for activation’ with a spinning wheel next to the number. I have tried everything I can find online and nothing works. I’ve been scanning the internet for a similar situation to no avail. 

Not sure if I should just wait another day to see if it’ll change or whether to contact Vodafone and try to explain the situation. Did everything work out in the end?

AnnS

Yes @charlie1520 you have to update the number manually, by going settings, phone, My number, delete the temporary number and re enter your ported number, follow this with a phone reboot and synchronising to your Finder account.

Once the correct number is showing in your settings, this may get your imessages activated and working.

If you still have problems return to the thread and the Social Team will be able to help further.

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply!

I have changed both the iCloud contact number ‘Contactable at’ and also the ‘My Number’ in the settings > phone section to the ported number and restarted my iPhone. However, both iMessage and FaceTime are still not working.

When I click my ported number in the ‘send & receive’ sections, I either get a continuous spinning wheel or ‘an error occurred during activation’. I can message from my iCloud account but not my phone number which is very frustrating.

I have tried other options such as disabling iMessage, turning my phone off and on, taking my SIM card out and in again but to no avail. 

Hi,

I spoke with Vodafone porting support and they suggested that there may have been a 'split port'. They are going to contact EE (my previous provider) to see if anything had gone wrong on their end and hopefully it should be sorted out within 72 hours. I think the 'split port' is the reason why my iMessage and Facetime won't activate. I had a friend try to call me who is with EE and there was no dial tone and cut out almost instantly, which is an indicator of a 'split port'.

Thanks for keeping the thread updated @charlie1520 - if you do need us to check on the status of your split port issues, please just pop my team a message via social media

We completely understand how important it is to stay connected and we'd love to help 🙂 

Morning,

Just as an update, everything started working as normal yesterday (calls, iMessage + Facetime) at around 12.00pm. Probably took about 24 hours after calling the porting team to sort it.

Thanks!

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

You're welcome @charlie1520 I'm glad to hear we got everything sorted for you 😊