Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Series 4 Apple Watch Cellular doesn’t work

Nsjmurray
4: Newbie

So, in typical Vodafone fashion they have come out with a new feature and product that doesn’t work at launch - in-fact it does several unannounced and unauthorised credit checks.

So I received my brand new iPhone and Apple Watch today and I have to admit, they look fantastic, after opening the iPhone box and just seeing the magnificence that is the phone I am definitely happy with my purchase.

I open up the oddly packaged watch box and start to set it up, everything is fine except for when I got to the mobile data setup section- at first it looked promising a Vodafone log-in screen, “Awesome” I thought, so I logged in and all of a sudden it was asking me to add a subscription for £5 per month.. I thought this was strange as I was already paying for the watch now you’re trying to charge me more for a subscription, I knew it seems to be a mistake so I just glanced at the terms, it seemed normal just about linking them together so it made sense, I went ahead and clicked add subscription knowing that I would just call Vodafone and explain the situation if they tried to charge me more.

Anyway, it shows me a loading screen and I’m simply waiting for it to complete the link between my devices.

After a short while it went to a blank white screen and then... what’s this... I HAVE FAILED A CREDIT CHECK AND I HAVENT BEEN CHARGED?!?!?

So not only did it fail.. Vodafone has performed a credit check, without authorisation just to link it to my existing plan that I was already credit checked on?

Good one Vodafone, will be returning the watch and the device and leaving the network for good, this is the final straw, I’ve had nothing but trouble with you for 7 years and I’ve stuck by you, but you just cannot get anything right first time, EVER.

wondering if anyone else had this happen to them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nsjmurray

Hi everyone,

OP here, I can’t believe this issue is still effecting some people, I get emails almost daily about updates for this, it’s crazy to think it still hasn’t been sorted for everyone.

i can now finally say all of my issues are resolved and everything is working fine, you have to be persistent and contact the directors team, standard help from the tech team does not work.

Contact Nick Jeffries team and hopefully you will get I resolved like I did.

View solution in original position

1,336 REPLIES 1,336

Technically speaking you should be ok with any SIM only plan. The whole ‘compatibility’ thing is more of an apparent business decision rather than necessity. The messaging from Vodafone appears mixed though - some people appear to have been told on newer plans that they’re not compatible whereas others on older plans have had no issue.

I think the compatibility more depends on which of their billing systems your account resides and whether WiFi calling is enabled or not. 

@garethr wrote:

Technically speaking you should be ok with any SIM only plan. The whole ‘compatibility’ thing is more of an apparent business decision rather than necessity. The messaging from Vodafone appears mixed though - some people appear to have been told on newer plans that they’re not compatible whereas others on older plans have had no issue.

I think the compatibility more depends on which of their billing systems your account resides and whether WiFi calling is enabled or not. 

Thanks for this and the other replies folks. I think i’ll just sign up to the Red Extra SIM only plan I fancy and hope things have improved in a week or two when the Watch I ordered from Apple arrives. 

Worst comes to worst I believe there is a 30 day cooling off period on the plan....

@rasputin1969 wrote:

Just stating the obvious, but if you're not seeing a secondary line on My Vodafone with a number you can ring that gets routed to your mobile then there's no point doing _anything_ on your phone eg pair/unpair repeat.

The secondary line should have been setup within minutes, and at the most a few hours.

It’s in my Vodafone but ringing it sounds dead.

dont know why they told me to pair and unpair, and got the usual 24hrs nonsense when I rang yesterday morning. Two weeks now. 

They haven't a clue unfortunately. If the number isn't ringing then there's something wrong at the Vodafone end and there's no point doing anything at your end until that's resolved.

What works

The phone itself 

The watch itself

The secondary number dials my phone and that works but no texts?

What doesn't work 

The cellular capabilities of said watch

Vodafone customer service team

I've done a esim swap which apparently is a thing I'll wait 24hrs although my experience it takes alot less 

@mrklaw wrote:

As a backup. Don’t want to set everything up again from scratch. Shouldn’t make any difference? I already regret clearing all my safari cookies which is what the first 191 call suggested 😛

I was just curious I've tried restoring a known working (where cellular was enable) but nothing I'm going to ring them tonight see how far I get, then decide how much I'll pay them when my bill comes through

ttt0mm

Have you had much luck? 

Im having not quite the same but a similar issue. My watch is saying “no sim” and mobile data on the app is recognising Vodafone uk but constantly loading. 

No luck at all, spoken to several different advisors and they have all given me different excuses.

i have had a total of 7 credit checks against me today so god help me when I get my credit report next month.

Cheers Vodafone.

Also having this issue, where on Watch it says No Sim and on the phone watch app under Mobile Data it's constantly loading...

Spoke to AppleCare first and they said it's an issue on Vodafone's end and they will need to sort. Currently on hold waiting...

I have the same problem how did you rectify this