Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

WiFi calling iPhone11

kevindavison
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi there,

I have an iPhone11 running latest IOS, working on a Tenda Mesh Wifi using Plusnet ISP. WiFi strength is solid and WiFi calling is enabled, but my other half's iPhone 7S and mine do not automatically use WiFi calling when I get home and connect to my network. I have got it working by toggling the WiFi calling setting, and sometimes it works on its own, but of course I want it to be on automatically without needing to do this.

What is stopping it working automatically?

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

When you get home does network connection cease all together as Wi-Fi Calling should then initialise.

If you get some sort of network connection then that would take presidence. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Ahhh .... at home I am getting two/three bars, what would look to be a reasonable signal strength. However, even though my iPhone is saying three bars, trying to make a call is practically impossible, I have found; B party just cannot hear me. I had not realised that WiFi calling only kicks in if the GSM signal is poor/non-existent.

Is there a document/site that document how WiFi calling works?

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your phone should automatically switch to WiFi calling whenever you've a WiFi signal and no mobile connection @kevindavison. There's more information about this on our website.

Does your phone automatically connect to your home WiFi, or do you need to toggle it off and on to get a connection? Do you have this problem when trying to use WiFi calling in any other location, or is it just at home? 

Mark,

Thanks for the link, however I was looking for something alot more technical; I think if you'd read the thread I already having WiFi calling enable and it works!

The challenge here is not that WFC is not working but that it's not working when I need it. I have a GSM 4G signal, but making a regular GSM call, for a reason I don't know, is extremely poor, to the point that who I'm calling cannot here and/or understand me.

What I really want is a link to a Vodafone/Apple site/page that detail what are the exact criteria to decide when WFC is to be used vs GSM. As I type my iPhone has 4/4 bars and WFC was on 1 min ago but now is not.

AnnS

Hi @kevindavison 

WiFi calling is designed to only activate when your mobile phone signal is poor or you have no reception.  When you return home, you have just been using a mobile data connection where the signal has been stronger.

To force WiFi calling when you return home, it may be necessary to put the phones on offline mode, the phones will then immediately connect to WiFi calling.