Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 12 Pro Max Battery Drain

maxwilkes
4: Newbie

I just can’t put my finger on this but is anyone else suffering from severe battery drain? My iPhone 11 Pro Max drained 2% last night while my 12 Pro max drained 15%.

yesterday I got less than 5 hours of screen on time before my 12 Pro Max ran out of battery. Whereas my 11 Pro Max already has close to 3 hours screen on time and still over 75% battery remaining! I just don’t get it.

I’ve factory reset and setup as new (so not from a backup) and still the same error. Am also running the latest iOS (14.2.1).

Battery capacity says it’s at 100%. Apple claim my battery is perfectly healthy. That’s not healthy! I’ve checked the battery section of settings to see if it’s a rogue app or process and it’s not. Battery usage shows as NIL overnight yet it still lost 15%. Not even on 5G, all it does overnight it stay on WiFi and fetch background updates such as email, social media etc. Same as the 11 Pro Max yet that loses 2% while the 12 Pro Max loses 15%. Please advise?

23 REPLIES 23

conysun
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Is the battery's problem?  But I still think you can try some easy ways first. Turn on the Low Power Mode. Go to: Setting> Control Center> Customize Controls> Low Power Mode. Restart your iPhone. Find out the APPs that Drains Battery. Go for Setting>Battery> Battery Percentage. Then you will find some APPs that need a lot of power. If they are not so important, just delete them to extend the iPhone battery life. Use Professional iOS System Recovery Software (This one is on 40% off until Dec. 4, 2020. https://www.tuneskit.com/special/thanksgiving-sales/)Reset All Settings. Just go to: Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. If those cannot work, change your battery.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Has an Apple Genius Bar run a diagnostic on the iPhone already ?

Who supplied the iPhone to you @maxwilkes  ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Vodafone did on a monthly contract. I’ve tried everything, I’ve factory reset twice now and setup as new (so not restored from backup). Last night it went from 62% down to 46%. During the day yesterday it drained roughly 2% per hour as well. I clocked less than an hour of screen on time yesterday as I wanted to test just how bad the drain was and...well...it went from 83% all the way down to 62% with me doing pretty much nothing all day. Meanwhile the 11 Pro Max clocked over 5 hours screen on time during the day and the battery usage was consistent to a decent usage if you get me, and lost only a few percent last night. By a few percent I mean LESS than 5% over the same period the 12 Pro Max lost around 15%. Something is definitely wrong with this battery...but I’m worried as Apple claim it’s perfectly healthy as they’ve ran diagnostics on it...this isn’t healthy.

It’s nothing to do with the battery it’s ios14 that’s the issue. Lots of people complaining about battery life with ios14 so you’re stuck until Apple admit there’s an issue and fix it. 

I don’t have the same issue on my 11 Pro Max though...and that’s also running iOS 14.2!

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @maxwilkes - I appreciate how frustrating this must be, especially with the device being brand new! If you feel that your device is damaged we can investigate this and arrange a repair if needed - I would advise to drop us a message on social media, please be sure to include a link to this forum and your username so you're not having to repeat yourself.

I also have this problem.  I have a sim unlocked iPhone 12 bought from Apple direct.. I run it with two SIMs, en eSIM from EE and a work provided vodafone SIM.  I had an identical set up with my previous iPhone and had no issues.

I get a ~20% drain overnight when both SIMs are active in the phone but if i remove the Vodafone SIM it behaves more like i am used to (i.e. go to sleep with 100%, wake up with 99-100%.

it's almost as though the voda sim is preventing the phone from sleeping somehow.. I don't think that this is isolated to the voda network - read a post on the apple community forums about someone experiencing the same issue with an O2 SIM. 

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @tehwolf 👋 This issue seems to be affecting customers using both a eSIM and a physical SIM at the same time. It appears Apple are aware of this and are looking into it. As your phone was purchased directly through Apple, you'd need speak to them directly regarding taking a look into this and possibly repairing/replacing it if this is a hardware fault. In the mean time, does this still happen if you place the phone into the low power mode overnight?  You can do this by following these steps 👉 Settings - Control Center - Customize Controls - Low Power Mode.

Hi @mark thanks for the reply. I was just posting here to support OP’s message. Aware that if it’s a hardware issue I’ll have to go back to apple direct, but your comment about apple knowing about it is more than I’ve heard from apple at their forums, so is useful :Winking_smiley: 

just wait and see now I guess. 

thanks