Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

It looks like you've swapped your SIM or updated

eclair2507
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi! apologies but all previous replies are either archived or what i can see doesnt resolve my problem. I have just bought a new car and am connecting my HTC U11 to it. Every time i switch off the ignition i get a text sent through from Vodafone "It looks like you've swapped your SIM or updated......" The dealership says its not the car, but a setting on the phone, but i cannot find any settings that fix it. Any ideas please? TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-OS/Configuration-texts-on-rSAP-disconnect/m-p/1428652/highligh...

This forum user has managed to find the secret as to how to get the messages disabled.

The solution to this is in that message, so it must be possible.

I have copied and pasted what the solution is below.

1) Call 191 and speak to Customer Services.

2) Select the menu option for Technical Support, possibly labelled as "Problems using your phone".

3) Explain to the operator that you need to be put through to Level 3 support to make a change on their "VDC" system.

4) You might need to be put to Level 2 Support first, so you may need to repeat the request.

5) Eventually, you will be in touch with Level 3 Support. Instruct them to set your phone number on their "VDC Blacklist" which is a list of phones that should not be sent the Configuration Messages.

6) The Vodafone system will still register that you have (virtual) change of phone every time you use rSAP in your car, but the blacklist on your number will then block all Configuration Messages from being sent to your phone.

This block will not stop normal Vodafone text messages such as Vodafone Call Catcher or general customer service text messages.

It has been a very pleasant few days without the dozens of daily Vodafone Configuration Messages that clog up my system, so I have chosen to remain with Vodafone. Good service deserves to be rewarded with good customer loyalty - just wish it did not require the process of leaving Vodafone before somebody chose to address it in two days, when being told for the last four months that it was not possible to address at all!

View solution in original position

16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @eclair2507 

Yes this topic has come up on the forum before.

It's an automated text from Vodafone.

It maybe beneficial to speak with customer service via the phone or Live Chat or the Vodafone Social Media Team's Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries who'll be able to access your account and advise.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

It's a general question @eclair2507 and the Team should be able to give some suggestions on the thread.

Although an automated text unless you are removing the SIM from the phone, you shouldn't receive the message

The phone you are using is fairly old phone, according to GSM Arena here: GSMArena released 2017.  I am quite certain the reason for the problem is the Android software version installed on the phone that is not compatible with the latest software for the car system.   The latest software in Android 11, try going into About phone and checking for any software update.

You may find a replacement SIM solves the problem and worth a try first, you can order a new SIM for the number here: SIM Swap 

If you were to change the phone to one of the latest models, you would more than likely not be receiving this automated message each and every time you switched off the ignition.

Evie
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hey there @eclair2507 - Thanks for contacting us regarding this. Firstly I'd advise completing a manual roam on your device and checking the APN settings. Settings and steps for which can found in our Device Guides . Follow the steps for 'Set you phone up for internet' and 'Search for network'. Let us know how you get on!

AnnS

A workaround may be to turn off mobile data each and every time you connect the phone to the car @eclair2507  but I do suspect compatibility with the phone and car software.

hrym

This has indeed come up before and it mostly seems to have affected vehicles from VW Group.   As I understand it, these connect (or used to connect, as the issue hasn't arisen for a while) by Remote SIM Access Mode, which effectively takes over the SIM for its own use.  When you disconnect, the SIM is returned to control by the phone, which thinks you've reinserted it.

It's possible there's a software update for the car, but this will probably be chargeable - a friend was quoted something like £200, so decided not to.

If you can live with the notifications, you can safely ignore them and delete the texts.

shuntfield
4: Newbie

I am having the same issue. 

I have been in and out of my car all day today, and each time when the SIM is released to the car and then back to the phone I get these messages, I've had >20 messages. 

I've searched the forum, and see that some people have had them deactivated. 

The phone I am using is a Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra,  with all its updates, and a 2020 Audi SQ5, it worked fine with the previous O2 SIM in it, and the APN settings in the phone and the car are set to Vodafone correctly.

There is nothing wrong with either my car or the phone, neither require any software firmware hardware tableware, paperware, or any-other-kind-of-ware updates, they both work fine. The network sees a different IMEI number and acts up on that by incorrectly assuming that I have put the SIM in a different phone, indeed if I swap the SIM between SIM slot 1 and SIM slot 2 in the same phone as the slots have two different IMEI numbers the network sees this as a SIM Swap and sends the Message and the config texts.

This I need to stop, if needs be I will exercise the right to end my contract within the 14 day cooling off period. 
There certainly has to be a way of supressing these messages instead of giving it "computer says no", I am not a technology newbie or technophobe by a country mile, and don't take kindly that my equipment is blamed when I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
That only serves to get my back up even more.😠

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @shuntfield - I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by these messages. 

I've looked into it further and there isn't a way for us to stop these notifications coming through. I can appreciate this isn't the answer you were looking for, I wanted to be transparent in saying there isn't anything further we can offer to do. 

When my phone connects to my car it uses Bluetooth SIM Access Profile, (rSAP) Vodafone sees this as a SIM swap and sends me:

"It looks like you’ve swapped your SIM or updated your software. If you want to continue using data, please update your APN settings. You should receive them shortly. If you need help, please visit http://vodafone.co.uk/internet-settings" 

and a Configuration Message behind it.

Every time I get in and out of my car which has been a fair number today I get

"It looks like you’ve swapped your SIM or updated your software. If you want to continue using data, please update your APN settings. You should receive them shortly. If you need help, please visit http://vodafone.co.uk/internet-settings"

and a Configuration Message behind it.

I contacted Vodafone on the chat, to be told by the agent:
"Now I have stopped these texts on your account and you wont receive these texts anymore."

I get a text message to my phone:

"Thank you for your request. You'll no longer be able to pay for apps, games and music, or donate to charity services using your Vodafone bill or your credit (if you're a Pay as you go customer). However, you'll still be able to text premium numbers. Changed your mind? Just go to www.vodafone.co.uk/myvodafone to update your settings."

🙄🙄

I get into my car:

and a Configuration Message behind it. 😡

I then called Customer Service the first person I spoke to, didn't understand what I was talking about and passed me through to someone else, however I couldn't understand what they were saying, and after the first 3 or 4 words I got a massive load of static, and then it broke up each time she started talking. 
It sounded like she said that its because I signed up to "my Vodafone" and asked for Marketing  & Promotion Text Messages and said that she had switched it off, but has probably switched off for me "my Vodafone"

Is it really that hard to stop this every time I get in and out of my car?

My Car is an Audi.

I have only been a Vodafone customer 5 days, and every day so far there has been an issue of some kind.

Please make it stop.😫😭

I have searched this forum, and a lot of them say contact Vodafone, and they will sort it, one even mentions going through to a "level 3 technical support" unfortunately, there is nothing wrong with my car or my phone, its the incessant texts that come from Vodafone sending configuration texts that I need stopped.

That thread is of no use.