Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Old sim card still receiving text messages

fearless
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm trying to sort my brothers phone.

He has an old phone (a Samsung J5) which has a Vodaphone SIM card.  However, he recently got a new phone (a Samsung S9) and had his original number ported to a new PlusNet SIM card.  If you phone his number it comes through to the new phone, but any text messages/SMS come through to the old phone (which still has the old SIM card in it).

I've tried removing the old SIM from the old phone and sending a text to his number, but it just fails to send, until you put the old SIM back in the old phone and the message then comes through.

Please can someone advise how I can get the text messages/SMS come through to the new phone?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6

AnnS
17: Community Champion

It's Plus Net who are going to need to sort this out @fearless , they are now your Brother's service provider.   If there is a porting issue your Brother will need to contact Plus Net and they will need to raise this with Vodafone on your Brother's behalf.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

So is there no way of sorting this within either of the phones?

Thanks.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@fearless - It sounds like this might be a split port issue, where the number hasn’t fully ported over to Plus Net.

It isn’t something that can be fixed on the phones, it will need to be at a network level.

If your brother’s the account holder, please ask him to contact Plus Net and they’ll go through the next steps.

So is there no way of sorting this within either of the phones?

My brother has contacted PlusNet (the new provider) and they seemed puzzled by it and it appeared to have transferred across as it should have at their end.

He then contacted Vodaphone, but they couldn't find his number or postcode on their system.  This may be because his contract with Vodaphone was actually through a third-party provider.

So he contacted the third-party provider and while he was on they contacted Vodaphone and confirmed that it had transferred as there was no longer any link to Vodaphone with that number.

Are there any other solutions to this problem?  It's not actually all texts that go through to his old phone as some have been coming through to the new phone.  But we haven't identified a common denominator as to when and/or why texts go to which phone.  It looks like it could be existing contacts (i.e. people who texted him before he got a new SIM) don't come through to the new SIM, but another potential is that it is other people on a Vodaphone contract that don't come through to the new SIM.

Please could someone help?

AnnS

Just to make sure the new phone has the PlusNet message centre number in the message settings @fearless .  Tap your messages app on the front and go to settings, message centre number.

If there are continued problems you are now a PlusNet customer and if the message part of the port has failed, they are the one to get this fixed.  PlusNet have a community forum where you will be able to get some good advise here: PlusNet Community