Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

Jengoddard
2: Seeker

My pixel 3xl drops every call (made or received) after exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds. I don't know if this is related to phone settings, network or what so wondered if anyone had had similar issues or knew of a fix. It's a real pain in the backside as currently working from home and means I get cut off in every conference call!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OLIVERSWWARD

Hi all, I have a Pixel 3 on Vodafone and have the same issue. I followed some advice to disable WiFi calling on my account (webpage) and on the settings on the phone. After a reboot I am now able to call > 30 mins! Hope that helps!

View solution in original position

474 REPLIES 474

I can't tell you how enlightening (and relieving) it is to read this thread. My phone has been suffering with this problem on outbound calls for a long long time - since I bought it in fact – and through elimination I proved that it was an issue with Vodafone (not the handset) but they would not believe me. I tried every last pathetic 'solution' they gave me - resetting the phone, deleting all my apps, safe mode, etc etc. My phone is a Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

This thread's made me realise:

1. I'm not going mad (phew). It IS a problem with the Vodafone network and not the handset.

2. That clearly a LOT of people are having their calls regularly cut off, and that no real fix has yet been offered.

I would like to make a complaint to OFCOM too because this has been hugely disruptive to my business and to my general levels of sanity! If anyone can tell me how to do that and if there's a case reference or anything...

Quick update for all who are still experiencing problems. It's really easy to make a complaint to OFCOM.

Just go here: https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/problems/mobile-faults-gu...

Scroll down to 'tell OFCOM' and click 'fill out a short survey'. It took about 5 minutes max.

Thanks for the link. I have submitted the Ofcom form.

I have also just completed the ofcom form. 

Vodafone...any comments from you or are you still remaining radio silent on this matter? 

Not good enough at all. 

I have just tried calling my home-phone and just left the two phones next to each other in a 'call', to see if the call was terminated at 29m 50s. Sure enough - it did. So, problem is NOT SOLVED, despite being told that it would all be fixed by the end of March (was it new hardware or something??)

I am now complaining to OFCOM as well.

Neil.

Complaint form filled in with OFCOM - done.

Vodafone - what is going on with this topic? Why is it not fixed? Why is it happening in the first place? Please respond.

Dear all,

I have spent another two hours of my life trying to get to the bottom of this wretched saga. I contacted Vodafone via the complaints link on the website. In short, got put through to Vikas who asked me to put my phone into Safe Mode, which I did, then made a call to my own landline. Sure enough, I got cut off after 29m 50s again. So that was the second half hour call of the day. He then put me through to Tech Team. He reset my account as he knew about the issue. I shared a link of this thread, and mentionned that many people were now contacting OFCOM. He certainly did something as all of my add-ons got disconnected like Spotify and International Saver Plus etc.... however, he reassures me that they will come back! Hmmm..  Let's see. I will make another 30 minute call to myself at some point to see if today has been a success. 

Looks like it has got nothing to do with handset or wifi calling and all of the other excuses we've had. 

Neil.

I had this problem a year ago, and as Vodafone were unable to resolve the problem they allowed me to end my contract without penalty. I rejoined on the same plan, but with a new account and everything has worked perfectly since then. No more dropped calls. I believe the problem is to do with which part of the core system the account is hosted on. I'm not sure, but the GSM system uses a series of databases or Home Location Registers. When a new account is set up it is allocated to a specific HLR. I may be wrong, but I think this problem relates to accounts on one specific HLR (or other database) which has incompatibility issues with certain phones such as some Sony and Pixel models. When I changed my service my new account was probably set up on a different piece of kit with no such issues. I continued with the same handset with no more problems.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi all, I'd like to apologise for the delay in updating the thread here.

I'm also sorry to see this is still affecting Sony phones - I've requested for some further information regarding the regarding the removal of the equipment mentioned previously, including if there have been any delays with this. 

Once I have a further update, I'll post again on the thread here.

I have now lost my Spotify Premium service that came bundled with my current contract. 

So, not only can I not make long calls, my bundled services have been deleted despite being told they would come back.

Getting pretty tired of this awful situation with Vodafone. Time for a change once this contract finishes.