main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Android

Pixel 3xl drops calls after half hour

SOLVED
View solved solution
jgfrancis
2: Seeker

Yes, same handset, new network all working fine.

View more options
moof
4: Newbie

hmmmm 🤔

whats also interesting to note is the time frame on these reported Pixel problems.

because we where both running a 2 and 2XL and now are running a 3 and a 2XL and yet the call quality has been pants for about a month (thats out of the house, we clearly know about our internal signal issue)

wonder if there is something technical about Google Pixels and Vodafone thats gone awry

View more options
velodan668

100% this is a compatibility problem between Vodafone UK and the Pixel running Android 10.  I have done so much troubleshooting it's getting ridiculous.  

Vodafone pointed me to Google who to be fair were happy to replace the handset.. but since I know that it isn't the problem I haven't done that.

There must be something in the network and/or the carrier-specific build of Android which is causing this.  I don't understand why Vodafone are not taking this seriously.

View more options
jgfrancis

I don't have a Pixel, I have a Sony Xperia XZ2, so I don't think the problem is handset related. The problem seems to be with 4g calling(Volte). If I set the phone to 3g, then my calls were not dropped, but on 4g, calls were always dropped at 29m 50s. I also had a second Vodafone contract sim which worked perfectly in the same handset. I think its probably something to do with the way the account was set up, but Vodafone either didn't understand the problem, or were not prepared to trace the fault.

View more options
velodan668

That's interesting - I put my SIM in a Redmi handset and it worked fine.

View more options
velodan668

I've given up with this now and switched my SIM into a handset that works.  Sadly Vodafone has been unable to help.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that customer services are not equipped to resolve these sorts of problems.. once they have gone through the standard settings of the handset and checked the account then they don't have anywhere to go after that.  I am pretty convinced that is is a compatibility problem between the Pixel handsets (maybe a few others) and settings on the network.

Anyway, it's irrelevant now since I have consolidated my work and personal handsets into a single dual SIM phone which works absolutely fine.  So much so, I can't believe that I used to carry two handsets around with me.

View more options
BellaMafiosa
3: Seeker

I have a Pixel 3 and it also drops after 29 minutes 50 seconds (sometimes at 30 minutes).  

It is a new handset (4 months old).  Called Vodafone customer service wasn't helpful.  They tried to suggest it as a handset issue - there are no settings on the phone that set a time limit on calls.

Also - this is for OUTBOUND calls only.  Please help!

View more options
Adam

@BellaMafiosa Hi there! I've had a good look around and can't see as to why this would be network related on a specific device. Other devices are able to continue outbound calls past 30 minutes, which leads me to think it could be a device default. Have you reached out to the manufacturer to see if this is a known query and whether there is a fix? 

View more options
velodan668

I've already checked on this and it appears to only exist on Vodafone UK.

View more options
BellaMafiosa

Moderator this is not helpful.  I have already stated that I have tried the sim in TWO different phones.  Both are Android - however the other one has had any usage or software updates in 3 months so that's not the case.  I can see that others with various types of devices are getting the same issue. What is the fix to this please?  Very frustrating - calling customer service was useless.  They promised me a new SIM TWO weeks ago and nothing has arrived.  

View more options
geedub

I have the exact same problem  - Pixel 3XL, Android 10, calls when 4G enabled consistently drop without warning at exactly 29 minutes and 50 seconds.

Is there any progress on a real solution?

View more options
BellaMafiosa

Nothing.  Vodafone customer service keeps claiming it's not a Vodafone issue.  We know this isn't the case if it works on 3G.  FRUSTRATING!!!

View more options
velodan668

There is a solution.  Buy a different handset.  This will never be fixed.  Trust me.

View more options
Anonymous
Not applicable

I completely understand your frustration here @BellaMafiosa. I've done some digging and it does look like this is a device-specific issue which has been flagged to Google as something which is known to affect Pixel 3XLs. 

If your device is within warranty, we can look into sending this off to our repair team for further diagnostics, and replacing this for you if needed, and I'd recommend contacting our Social Media team here to look into this further. If your device is out of warranty, I'd recommend contacting Pixel Support directly here to see if Google have any further updates on the issue.

View more options
velodan668

Btw.. replacing the handset will not resolve this.  I did a warranty replacement with Google and have the same problem.

View more options
BellaMafiosa

Thank you for sharing.  So what did you end up doing?  Any help from Vodafone?  

Btw did you have the battery issues from the May/June update?  I'm suddenly having to charge 3 times a day - no help from Google, other than to recommend a factory reboot :Sad_face:

View more options
Tash

Hi everyone! I'll be dropping a few of you a private message shortly to request for a few details needed so I can escalate this further for you all.

If you receive this, please get back to me with the information and I'll update the thread here once I have an update from our dedicated team 👍

View more options
BellaMafiosa

HI Jack,

I have a Pixel 3, & it's new - only had it 4 months.  And I put the Sim in another Pixel 3 and the same issue arises.  I've never had the problem before.   And the spare phone I used hadn't been used in 3 months.  This is definitely a Vodafone issue, since I can see other nonPixel users suffering with the same problem.  Customer service said to try 3G which I did and the call doesn't drop.  However that's not a workable nor acceptable solution.  This is definitely a Vodafone issue.  I am so frustrated after trying to resolve this for almost a month with no joy.  This totally sucks Vodafone!!! :Sad_face:

View more options
velodan668

Hi,

I got fed up with this issue at the very time that I got fed up with carrying 2 handsets around with me.. so I decided to buy a Redmi note 8 Pro.. it was only £200 and is easily as good as the Pixel 3 but has dual SIM support so I now only have one superior handset.. then I sold the Pixel on eBay for £230.  Job done 

View more options
Debh59

This only started happening end Feb/beginning of March 2020 until then I had no issue. Only solution to turn off 4G new sim made no difference. Have been told my only alternative is to send handset away for repair but I don't have a spare phone  - so many wasted hours on phone to web chat and telephone chat. Promised someone would call but they haven't 

View more options