Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Recipient is Offline - Send as SMS Instead

ant_in_wales
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hello

Half the time I text my wife - also on Vodafone - it looks like it's gone, but when I look back later it will say "Not delivered yet -  tap for options"

When I do so, it will say "Recipient is offline - Send as SMS"

This is particularly annoying as I WANTED TO SEND IT AS AN SMS ANYWAY.

I don't know what non-SMS method I'm using.

I'm using the standard Messages app on my Google Pixel 3.

I did spend an unuseful 30 minutes "Chat" with Vodafone support - that's how long it took to get the advice "Turn it off and on again".

Anyone who can offer something more useful than that will be greatly appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

@ant_in_wales 

Sometimes a soft reboot by turning the phone Off and On helps.

Also close down the app in your multi tasking.

As a process of elimination can you try your sim card in another phone and then send a sms message to see if it goes.

This will clarify if this is your account or sim card or phone at issue.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @ant_in_wales 

Assuming you are using the standard Vodafone SMS application and not Google Messaging here: Google Messaging your problem here will probably be with the advanced messaging option found in message settings, you have probably got this togged on and will need to turn the setting off.

Please see this link: Why are my messages sometimes sent as chat and sometimes as texts? 

I hope the above helps.

Thank you Anna - I think that sound like it.

"Chat" - whatever that is - was turned on, so I've promptly turned it off.

Now to do some texting to test.
Problem doesn;t happen every time, so will take a few days to see if that's fixed it, and I'll report back.

Thanks again for your suggestion, Anna. I hope Vodafone are planning your Christmas present.

Sending via RCS is better than SMS. You don't get charged as it just uses your data or wifi, you can send pictures and stuff and not pay for MMS.

Carnett1999
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

For anyone else with a google pixel 3a having this issue look up auto download mms in your settings and if it's turned on turn it off. I was having the same issue and this fixed mine.