cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Setting up 4g calling ready for next year.

gazmix8
4: Newbie

Hi

i have received a text saying 3g calling will end next year. I entered my IEMI number into the check box & it says that my Sony Xperia X Compact is compatible with 4g calling so i contacted a Vodafone worker via Facebook messenger & he sent me a few texts & to text CALLING to 97888. I did this & it said WiFi calling is added but nothing about 4g calling..

How can i make sure that my phone has 4g calling ? or is the WiFi calling & 4g calling the same? 

Regards

gazmix

120 REPLIES 120

gazmix8
4: Newbie

Forgot to say

i talked to Tobi in the live chat & then to a human & he asked me to look for Wifi calling in my phone settings which i couldn't find anywhere so he asked me to turn phone off, remove sim, reinsert & turn phone on then he said that he has added 4g & Wifi calling to my account. 

I thought it was a phone setting not something added to my account -Sim from their end. Then i got a text saying it had been added. So it is on my Sim not in the phone settings? 

Thanks

Hi and thanks

Do i need to turn it on after it has been enabled?

I have turned on flight mode with my wifi connected but i just get the wifi logo & the aeroplane in the 4g area of phone top right.

I've searched high & low for VoLTE in all phone settings but can't locate it anywhere

Screenshot_20220627-183700.png

Hi and thanks Anne

Yes I've looked through the support page for my device and can't see VoLte anywhere. 

When I go to Network settings - mobile networks, the image I posted is all I get and there is nothing in each that mentions VoLTE

Regards 

Gaz

There are two things that you can do.

Make a call and check if the 4g symbol changes to 3g in your Status Bar, if it stays on 4g then it is enabled.

Secondly on that phone open the dialler and dial  Star Hash Star Hash 4636 Hash Star Hash Star, then open Phone Information and scroll down, it will tell you if it is Volte provisioned.

@Sony1  many thanks

when i make a call the 4g is replaced by a H sign that i think is higher than 3g but not 4g. 

The 'Volte provisioned' is greyed out in the results to the call so i guess is bad news but the guy i chatted to said it'd been enabled.. Is there a way of changing it? 

Thanks

Volte has not be provisioned on your phone. H is still 3g and the secret menu does not lie. You can move the slider along but it will move itself back when you come out of the menu.

Best thing to do is to contact Vodafone on social media and they will ask you to DM them. Hopefully one of the Mods reading this will tell you how to do that.

I'm not sure but the X Compact may be too old for 4g calling.  

@Sony1

II was fearing that

The person I spoke to via Tobi said that 4g calling was part of my account once added I guess it's handset too. 

Is there no way to turn VoLte on at all as I have 2 xperia x contacts, the other I was going to use this fails. I like Sony compact phones and nothing similar out there more modern?  What is DM them? 

This is text they sent me.. 

Screenshot_20220627-190141.png

Hi @gazmix8 , there is no way that you can turn it on yourself unless it is showing in your Vodafone account and the account allows you to change it. It shows on mine but there is no way to switch it on or off. It needs to be provisioned by Vodafone.

DM means Direct Message, just like a Personal Message on Social Media. I thought that one of the Mods would have picked this thread up by now but in their absence here is a link

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/About-the-Community/Contact-us-for-account-specific-queries/td-p/263...

I know what you mean about the Sony Compact phones. I have the model after your one and have been looking for a second hand replacement in good condition for when this one dies and they are like Hens teeth, no one makes a near flagship Android compact now, Sony do but only for one carrier on the Japanese market. 

Hi @Sony1 

Many thanks.. Ah so it is possible to get VoLTE provisioned on this device.. Are you still having problems with yours even though it's provisioned?  Like my text image shows it says it's been allowed on my account but needs to be provisioned?. That was via a team member on Live Chat.. So they have to turn it on at their end. Also i saw a thread online that said you need an updated SIM with VoLTE on it, not sure if that's true.

I have also contacted via Messenger in the past but will do again as the link you gave says. 

I sure hope i can get it working as i say i bought another in March incase this one fails like you say, that was a rarity.. 

My local store where i knew the tech guy, he was brilliant, has closed which is a disgrace as it's a big city yet smaller towns local have stores.. It seems you have to book an appointment with the tech team online but the link is broken on the website & i can't contact the store & impossible to talk to someone on the phone it seems.