cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Setting up 4g calling ready for next year.

gazmix8
4: Newbie

Hi

i have received a text saying 3g calling will end next year. I entered my IEMI number into the check box & it says that my Sony Xperia X Compact is compatible with 4g calling so i contacted a Vodafone worker via Facebook messenger & he sent me a few texts & to text CALLING to 97888. I did this & it said WiFi calling is added but nothing about 4g calling..

How can i make sure that my phone has 4g calling ? or is the WiFi calling & 4g calling the same? 

Regards

gazmix

120 REPLIES 120

Hi

Are all phones currently on the Vodafone website be they pay as you go or monthly contracts enabled for 4g & Wifi calling?

Even some of the cheap basic phones?  Some i see are 2g yet they are being sold yet will only be usable for the next 6 months? 

Thanks

Amanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @gazmix8 you can view a full list of compatible phones online here.

If you do have a compatible phone, you can easily check if Wi-Fi 4G Calling is set up on the My Vodafone app - just head to Manage Bars & Extras > Buy and manage extras > Calling options.

Hi @Amanda 

thanks.. in controls & extras>WiFi & 4g calling it just tells me what it is not if my phone is compatible.. 

I was just thinking that all phones they are now offering must be 4g & Wifi calling compatible as nobody will be able to use them come January. 

Regards

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

You'll still be able to make calls over our 2G network @gazmix8. But if you'd like us to take a closer look into this and see if we can get 4G calls active for you, pop us a message through our social channels. We'll make sure everything is set up for you at our end and help with getting your setting right at you end too.

Hi @Mark & thanks

i was just wondering in case my phone turns out to not be 4g calls compatible & if i need to change before next year that all the phones available on the website are usable when 3g is discontinued. 

I spoke to several Vodafone agents via social media who did various tests & sent a new sim that has changed a few things but still i'm not 100% sure either way. 

Regards

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

As we offer such a wide range of devices @gazmix8 we will stock phones that do support 4G calling, as well as a range that don't. You can check out a little more information about each handset in the device information section. If you're still unable to see the information you require, you can always pop our social team a message, or reach out to our Online Chat team.

@Mark thanks

i just wondered because in 5 & a half months time phones that don't support 4g calling will be useless so i wondered why they are being offered to customers. 

Think i may make a trip to the 'not so local' store and have a chat to the tech team. 

Regards 

@Mark also as some of the phones on the site are 2g i see, are they keeping 2g but getting rid of 3g? The Alcatel 20.03 phone for instance that is 2g.. Will that be ok next year with VoLte 4g calling & wifi calling ? 

Thanks

2G is staying @gazmix8 🙂 As 4G is also remaining the same, any phones that are compatible with 4G and WiFI Calling now will still have access to those features once 3G is removed. 

Hi & thanks @Steph  it seems bonkers that my Sony Xperia X compact may not be usable next year as it's a great phone yet simple phones that are really cheap will still work.. 😒