cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

4G/LTE has to be off for Sure Signal to work?

AIRTyke
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a v3 Sure Signal and a Galaxy S7, I have a solid red light and two solid white lights next to that.  They only way I can get the 4th light to activate is by switching off 4G/LTE on my S7 - I then get a 4th solid light when calling.

Is that how it works? 4G has to be off? So whenever I leave home I have to keep flipping network to receive 4G?

Thanks in advance for any help.

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi

As the sure signal only gives out a 3G signal it can be beneficial to turn off 4G on the phone if it's causing an issue so the phone latches to the sure signals 3G. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

Although there is 4G in my home area it's quite a weak signal compared the the 3G that my Sure Signal pushes out. I have four phones and I don't have to turn off 4G on any of them to get the full 3G signal.

And if you have a strong 4G signal at home why would you need a Sure Signal.

This issue has been raised before and it's weird how it affects some people but not most.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Thanks. I have a weak and intermittent 4G signal at home and bizarrely even 3G is unreliable at certain times.  I just thought the SS box would even out the dips and provide a more consistent service, and I guess it does if I turn 4G off but that seems inconvenient.

By default a phone will attach to 4G before 3G as a preferred option.

however for the phone to make a call it will need to fall back to 3G if available or 2G as currently VoLTE is not available ( voice over LTE or 4G as it's known ) 

the 4G network will be aware of the 3&2G cells around it in the outside network, but isn't aware of 3G Femtos (sure signals) as such it can't hand incoming or outgoing calls over to an SS unit, so you go to the macro network which are the cells outside on masts and buildings. 

This is why you need to turn 4G off on the handset, so the phone locks onto the next best signal available, which will be the SS unit, this will take preference over the outside signal due to settings on the phone/network.

How unbelieveably ridiculous that Vodafone don't sell a 4g Sure Signal for the domestic market. Honestly, what use is a 3g box if you have to be toggling 4g settings constantly.
An even better idea would be for Vodafone to sort out their network!

jeffkinn
What use would a 4G box be? 4G is data only. You need 3G for voice. If you have a Sure Signal you have broadband and therefore Wi Fi for phone data. So not ridiculous after all!!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

DaveH22
1: Seeker
But the 3G 'solution' requires constant switching of 4g on phone.
Highly inconvenient!

jeffkinn
I've never had to do that with any of the phones in my house. But yes, if you had to do that it would be inconvenient.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

If you are in a poor 4g area you will need to do it.