Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Default on credit file

Bencairns
3: Seeker
3: Seeker
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone can help me or offer any advice. I have recently tried to apply for a mortgage but got knocked back at the credit check. This came as a bit of a surprise so i got a copy of my credit file to see what was going on.

When i checked i found that last year, vodafone had recorded a default against me for the account i am still currently using.

This all came about because i had one bad month and missed a payment. The direct debit was then cancelled which i was not aware of. I had assumed that the direct debit had be taken again at a later date as my phone had not been blocked so thought all was well.

It turns out that the direct debit had not been taken and infact i continued using my account for a further 9 months before vodafone contact me to tell me i was in arrears! I was under the impression, and as has happend since this issue, that my phone would be cut off or i would recieve a late payment text or some form of correspondence to let me know a payment was unsuccesful.

When i was infirned of the arrears i quickly set up a payment plan and resolved this and have not missed a payment since but it turns out that a default had been registered against me which i was unaware of.

This slight mistake (i will accept responsibilty for not checking my direct debit had gone, although i still thought i would of been informed before it went so far) is now having a major impact as my wife and i cannot get a mortgage which we have been working towards for years.

Is there anything that can be done to have this default removed from my file considering:
A. The direct debit was cancelled without informing me.
B. He default was registered wihout informing me.
C. The account was left to run up 9 months of arrears without informing me.
D. As soon as i became aware of this it was corrected.
3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

Totally understand how a default can affect ones life. 

Unfortunately as you've missed a payment then this can be reported on your credit file without Vodafone having to pre warn you. 

Also when a payment programme is agreed to them this can also be reported on a persons credit file. 

A help thread I put together > Default-on-your-Credit-File-and How-to-add-a-Notice-of-Correction.

The Vodafone Community Forum is owned and monitored by Vodafone U.K. There is members of the Vodafone Team here who are available to respond and Help where they can. They are easily identifiable as they have the Official Vodafone logo next to their name. All posts are read by them so please hang in there and  they'll engage and Help where they can. 

If Vodafone uphold the Default then it would remain for 6 years on the file. First showing as Outstanding and then Settled once paid. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sorry to hear this has happened to you. Unfortunately this is likely to prove hard work to resolve, because of the length of time it went on. Good luck with that one, hopefully this has shown the value of keeping a closer eye on your bank account.

On the other hand there is fault on both sides here. It's not at all clear why your DD was cancelled so quickly, and Vodafone have clearly been negligent in allowing your account to build up so many months of arrears without either cutting you off or demanding payment. For a start they could and should have called you, since your phone was still fully functional !

It might be worth hanging on until the team here reply to this thread, since there may or may not be something they can do to help. On the other hand you may find that you are better off pursuing this through the Ombudsman. In either case, I wish you all the best and hope you reach an acceptable resolution.

Becca_P
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Bencairns

I've private messaged you with details on how to get in touch.

Once completed, a member of the team will be able to look into this.