Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Fibre broadband and Sonos

Saunders756
2: Seeker

Not sure where to start here except that I'm seriously regretting signing up for this fobre broadband contract. It's an absolute pile of bloody junk with customer servoces to match. I was warned so it's my fault I guess.

Firstly, I've got a few pieces of Sonos kit which have worked fine up until now. The controllers on our android phones only seem to work very sporadically but luckily I've got a Sonos controller that works when the rest of it works but often the whole thing drops out so I can't play my own music or listen to internet radio. The Lan connections are constantly dropping out so my pc which is hard wired to the router often goes down as does my powerline so watching films on my firestick is intermittent. My Canon wireless printer which used to work still won't connect wirelessly after spending several hours trying to sort the problem. On top of that the drones at vodafone won't cancel my contract without a penalty despite this junk being not fit for purpose. I've requested to escalate the issue further up by guess what, no response. I'm sick to death of these organisations giving away not fot for purpose junk routers that simply aren't up to the job. My previous TP Link Archer router was faultless. Take my advice and keep away from this God awful company.

16 REPLIES 16

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi,

How long is it been since activation date ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Hi,

Activation date was the 25th October.

Ah. 

So past your initial cooling off period of 30 days. 

Vodafone also cite that it can take 30 days for connection to fully settle occasionally. 

What are your speeds ,ie download and your ping. I use Ookla Speedtest.net to check these. 

What-should-I-do-if-I-m-having-problems-with-broadband-connectivity.

Current Phone  >

Yes, I also use Ookla and get just over 37 meg download and 8 to 10 upload. Ping is around 16 ms It's pretty consistent and so far I've not had an issue with speeds. I agree in that it can take up to 30 days to settle. Initially I didn't seem to have a problem wih the Sonos. Well, that's not strictly true. Right from the start I icouldn't get my controller app to work but when I plugged the lan cable from the router into another port in my Sonos bridge it worked ok and quite consistently for a while. Now, it's all over the place. I've read a few posts on the Sonos forum with others having the same problem. Vodafone were supposed to have updated the router software but haven't done so. One of the posts dated back to Febrary last year.

Alekin
3: Seeker
Hi , you can fix this by disabling the 5ghz wifi on the advanced router setting, this will work whilst Vodafone work on a firmware fix

Saunders756
Hi Alex
Thanks for your reply. I've already done this and it's currently only running on 2.4ghz but has made no difference. I was aware quite a while ago about the issue of using 5ghz with sonos, so it was one of the first things I tried. I appreciate your reply though.

Officially Vodafone won't generally give out any required settings to be able to use a 3rd party router. 

But that said I have seen posts where a person has pushed Vodafone Broadband Tech politely for the passwords / settings etc in order to use another router because the one supplied wasn't able to support what the owner wanted. 

Current Phone  >

Alekin
I am currently using a bridge for my sonos, not sure if that if different to your set up. Before the change I would loose connection daily, where a router reset or bridge reset would temporarily resolve issue. More than happy to share router settings just in case it helps or you have missed something

Saunders756
Hi b o b
Yes I did read post where someone managed to get the router settings. Of course with sky it was easy. I may push for this. Whilst isp's may have legitimate reasons for having to use their own routers I think everyone should have the option to use their own.