Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Firmware updates for Samung S5/S4

djs1970
4: Newbie

Is Lollipop still the latest firmware being offered to the S5 and S4?

My Hudl2 used to be on Kit Kat and when I upgraded to Lollipop it used more memory and apps had to be deleted.

WIth the Samsung firmware, does this use more memory compared with Kit Kat on the S5 and Jelly Bean on the S4?

Is the latest firmware more stable now?

Many thanks for replies in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

djs1970
It would appear the latest software upgrade has stopped those annoying pop ups

View solution in original position

45 REPLIES 45

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Usually checking your software update section in your phone will show what's available and if your on the latest ava ilable.

Vodafone Firmware Statement

Ive read some conflicting posts on forums and blogs to how users feel the firmwares are working for them. Using Google should return some hits for you. 

If a phone is close to its limit then it is advised to delete unused / rarely used apps.

Remove notes, videos etc  and remove pictures and or move to a SD Card if applicable.  

An update of firmware will use some of the phones memory. They all do but they do try to limit how much it uses up nowadays. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

Here are the answers to your questions: 

• Lollipop is the latest firmware for these devices
  • Lollipop does take up more internal storage space than its predecessors. It does also use slightly more memory.  I suspect some of this is due to the TouchWiz interface.
  • Lollipop is very stable. When I did the upgrade I did a hard reset afterwards and haven't had any issues with it since. Battery life seems to be good to.

PWIAC

djs1970
Thanks for the replies. I've resisted Lollipop so far, but the upgrade messages are getting rather repetitive now!
Have you installed Lollipop on an S4 or S5? I just hope I don't have to delete any apps!

BandOfBrothers

You're welcome. 

Is their something in Lollipop your particular drawn to ?

How much memory do you have available and is it a s4 or s5 you have ?

Current Phone  >

drey_p

Ive got Lollipop on the S5 and S6.

I know you're not keen on having to delete apps, but a factory reset is the best way forward as Lollipop is a pretty major update.  This gives you a good starting point to troubleshoot any issues that may arise.

I'd also recommend that you back up everything prior to doing the update. You'll need it to be backed up when you do to he factory reset as it wipes the device completely.

PWIAC

djs1970
Nothing in particular draws me to Lollipop, just every day the message appears on the S5 and every 3 hours on the S4 to upgrade.
The wife has the S4 and I have the S5. They are I guess standard Vodafone issue phones, 16GB?

BandOfBrothers

Ok.

What is available on the phones in the way of memory. 

I.e  what's spare. 

Performing a Factory Reset I usually suggest if the phone is not behaving as it should / glitching as this removes old redundant files after a firmware update. 

Current Phone  >

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

That is irrelevant as the amount of free memory will always fluctuate depending on what apps are running at the time. I suspect you may be trying to ask what the spare storage capacity is.

bandofbrothers wrote: 

Performing a Factory Reset I usually suggest if the phone is not behaving as it should / glitching as this removes old redundant files after a firmware update. 

And should always be done when performing an update, especially one as major as this. 

PWIAC

BandOfBrothers

@drey_p wrote:

@BandOfBrothers wrote:

That is irrelevant as the amount of free memory will always fluctuate depending on what apps are running at the time. I suspect you may be trying to ask what the spare storage capacity is.

bandofbrothers wrote: 

And should always be done when performing an update, especially one as major as this. 

Yes thank you that is what I'm trying to ascertain because if a fair amount of storage is available then their hopefully should be no need to delete any apps. 

I understabd your take on a Factory Reset after a firmware update. Personally when I've owned Samsungs I've not had to perform one as the phone was good to go after the firmware update. I submit its a decision by each owner / user. 

Current Phone  >