Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Firmware updates for Samung S5/S4

djs1970
4: Newbie

Is Lollipop still the latest firmware being offered to the S5 and S4?

My Hudl2 used to be on Kit Kat and when I upgraded to Lollipop it used more memory and apps had to be deleted.

WIth the Samsung firmware, does this use more memory compared with Kit Kat on the S5 and Jelly Bean on the S4?

Is the latest firmware more stable now?

Many thanks for replies in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

djs1970
It would appear the latest software upgrade has stopped those annoying pop ups

View solution in original position

45 REPLIES 45

drey_p
16: Advanced member

@djs1970 wrote:
What new features does Lollipop bring to the S5 and 4. Do they remove any features?

Most of the changes are in the background so it is not stuff you're necessarily going to see. 

One of the things I noticed on the S5 was improved battery life, it wasn't dramatic but it was definitely better. You will notice that the icons look different compared to KitKat.  There is also improved RAM management and because of this it does feel a lot slicker. Lollipop also brings Gear support if I am not mistaken.

Overall, I like it but I am keen to see what Marshmallow brings 😉

PWIAC

Marshmallow on the S5, will it happen? According to the Internet it will be, but will Vodafone release it, who knows? 

drey_p

I have the S6 so I should be getting Marshmallow soon.

When it comes to the S5, there seems to be 2 trains of thought.  The majority of what I have read seems to indicate it will, but until it comes out noone will know.

As for if Vodafone will release it, I imagine that they would but they won't give you any timescales as per their Firmware Statement

PWIAC

djs1970
Well I did it. S5 now running Lollipop. I was expecting different wallpaper instead the old S5 wallpaper appeared. I also thought a lot of the background would be white behind the icons like on my Hudl2. Lost my photos in the upgrade, but thankfully found them in the Samsung Smart Switch program. Anyway running Lollipop 5.0 which I assume is the latest. I also noticed although phone connected to pc, battery appeared to go down!

drey_p

Have you done a factory reset of the device?

PWIAC

djs1970
Yes. Did factory reset before and after. Things are different than KitKat, for example notifications.

drey_p

It may be an idea to give it a good charge as often the battery stats are reset when you do a factory reset. 

PWIAC

djs1970
One problem I have noticed since the Lollipop update is the back cover warning appears every now and then. It used to only show when first switching on when of on KitKat.

drey_p

That is a bit odd - I've only got that warning when turning the phone on after it has been off. Not had it any other time.

PWIAC

djs1970
That's the way it used to do with me. I did a factory reset before and after upgrading. I'll try clearing the cache to see if that helps.