Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Firmware updates for Samung S5/S4

djs1970
4: Newbie

Is Lollipop still the latest firmware being offered to the S5 and S4?

My Hudl2 used to be on Kit Kat and when I upgraded to Lollipop it used more memory and apps had to be deleted.

WIth the Samsung firmware, does this use more memory compared with Kit Kat on the S5 and Jelly Bean on the S4?

Is the latest firmware more stable now?

Many thanks for replies in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

djs1970
It would appear the latest software upgrade has stopped those annoying pop ups

View solution in original position

45 REPLIES 45

drey_p
16: Advanced member

Let us know if it does.

PWIAC

djs1970
Clearing the cache did not work The cover message appears to only happen when the phone comes out of sleep mode. For example open my s view case and message appears. Message doesn't appear everytime though

drey_p

That is so strange. Ive not been able to replicate the issue here. Is it only when you open the S view case?

PWIAC

Hi 

It seemed to be when I opened the s view case. However it doesn't do it all the time. I also saw it come up with the message with the s view case closed. The message only appears for a few seconds then it goes off.

drey_p

Could you take the S View case off and see how it behaves - I am wondering if it may be causing the issue. 

PWIAC

I'll try that tomorrow, but I'd be surprised if it's the case as this message has only appeared since the Lollipop update. 

drey_p

Doing a bit of digging, I don't think that it is the Lollipop update as people have been reporting this issue on KitKat to. 

Some people report the issue being sorted out by turning the phone off, taking the back cover off and battery out for a few minutes before reassembling it and restarting.  Do make sure that the two pointed bits on the phone are making contact with the metal bit in the back cover.

PWIAC

djs1970
I did this and thought that was the fix. Unfortunately it isn't! Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thanks for the idea.

drey_p

Are the little metal bits that stick up making contact with metal plate in the back cover?  You may want to see if you can gently pull them out a little if they aren't

PWIAC

I may try this later today, however unless its a coincedence this message has only appeared since the Lollipop update.

I must admit I believe the message appears less since popping the battery out.

Unless myself or anyone else comes up with an idea I have two options.

1) Ring Samsung after the festive period.

2) Reset the phone again. No matter how well you back up your phone this is always a pain.

The S4 is being updated later, lets hope thats ok!

Happy New Year!