Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Flashing Red Power Light + Steady Orange System Light - VSS3

krt_uk
4: Newbie

My Sure Signal version 3 plugin model is not working. It shows only the red power light flashing and the orange system light on.

I could not find this type of behavior in the topics, so I decide to open this one.

I have already opened the ports, enabled UPNP, putted IP on DMZ and reset/unplug lots of times, apart wait more than 24hs each try. No success on it.

One particular thing I noticed was: when I have no internet, the box shows flashing power light + steady orange PHONE light only, as soon the internet connection is established the PHONE light goes off and the SYSTEM light comes on, always flashing the red power light.

My internet is Talktalk, the light on router related to the VSS port is on, ethernet lights under VSS are on.

My VSS model looks like this:

flashing power light + steady system light

29 REPLIES 29

allegoricus
13: Advanced Member

Hi krt_uk,

First thing to do is verify that your Sure Signal is being assigned an IP address by your router. If you log into the router with your browser, you should be able to find a list of devices that connect to your network.

Check that the Sure Signal appears on the list (it may not be identified as Sure Signal, in which case you'll need to check that its MAC address (find that on a label on your Sure Signal unit) appears in the list.

If the unit shows as having an IP address, note the address down (likely to be 192.168.n.n) and ping this address from a PC (examples here if you need them: http://allegoric.us/S4qwrt).

If the Sure Signal doesn't respond, give it the factory reset treatment:

* Hold in the reset button until all the light go solid
* Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
* Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
* Wait for all of the lights to come on the release the reset button

The VSS should now try to contact the Vodafone network and download its profile.

If this doesn't work, please report back by posting in this same message thread.

Good luck!

Peter

Peter

Hi allegoricus,

Thanks for your reply,

The ping test doesn't work with any of static or auto assigned IPs.

Any sugestion?

allegoricus

That's, er, unusual if the devices are live on your network.

What happens if you ping 127.0.0.1 ?

Can you ping your router?

Peter

My gateway is 192.168.1.1 ping sucssesful.

Ok pinging gateway and other devices, can't ping on VSS.

allegoricus

OK, that suggests to me that, for whatever reason, the VSS hasn't picked up an IP address. Mine has never failed to respond to a ping.

Peter

how the router shows the vss ip if it was not picked?

krt_uk,

This is exactly the same issue that I'm having; same light sequences, same ping issue, same version Sure Signal.

I notice that you're on Talktalk, is this the residential or business service?  I'm on TalkTalk Business with a Netgear DGND3700v2.

Mark.

allegoricus

It doesn't mean that it has never picked up an address, just that it appears not to have one now.

Peter