cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Galaxy S GPS works fine on 3 but not on VodaPhone - why?

z1rd3
1: Seeker

The GPS on my trusty Galaxy S works fine on 3 but not at all on VodaPhone. Both are PAYG Why could that be?

I have imported the VodaPone APN from the TXT message that the netowrk sent.

The Droid GPS test app shows no sats in view on VodaPhone, but 8 on 3 and a fix of between 3 and 5 sats at any one time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

z1rd3

Oddly enough, it is now fixed. I used the GPS Test app to clear and then update my AGPS – I presume this is some sort of cache on the device and hey presto VodaPhone can now see the same sats as 3 and both obtain a fix in 11 seconds now!

Maybe this is an Android bug in Gingerbread. I’m using the standard Gingerbread ROM with the Samsung ICS updated launcher. Or maybe it was because the Galaxy was originally a 3 phone, although I did flash it with a vanilla unbranded official Gingerbread ROM. Anyhow, thanks for the input.

View solution in original position

2 REPLIES 2

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

This is an interesting one as the GPS should be independent of the network itself. In fact, it should work without a SIM card in it.  Although, it does use the network to assist with location accuracy.

Have you tried the phone without a SIM card at all?  If so, what happens.

PWIAC

z1rd3

Oddly enough, it is now fixed. I used the GPS Test app to clear and then update my AGPS – I presume this is some sort of cache on the device and hey presto VodaPhone can now see the same sats as 3 and both obtain a fix in 11 seconds now!

Maybe this is an Android bug in Gingerbread. I’m using the standard Gingerbread ROM with the Samsung ICS updated launcher. Or maybe it was because the Galaxy was originally a 3 phone, although I did flash it with a vanilla unbranded official Gingerbread ROM. Anyhow, thanks for the input.