Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Help changing Sim to Micro-Sim

angelv1973
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi. My father has a SIM only contract with vodaphone.

He was given a new phone and a smart watch for Christmas both of which require a micro SIM card and his current SIM is the older larger type.

How can we get these changed over?

My father has cancer and we don't live that close so a round trip could take a few hours.

On previous visits instore we have had to wait long periods of time before being seen and this can result in us being there for a few hours too.

It's just to much for him to be able to cope with.

Is there anyway we can do this online or via telephone?

I'm his daughter and carer. I could collect for him if possible?

Thank you

13 REPLIES 13

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @angelv1973

As your Father's carer, it would help him if you had full authorisation over the account.  You would then be able to contact Vodafone with any account enquiries and collect replacement SIM cards from a store.  If this is an option, this can be done by your Father contacting Vodafone and giving permission.

However, there is no reason for Vodafone to be unable to send you 2 replacement blank numberless pay monthly SIM cards, as soon as these have been received, the number can be transferred to the replacement SIM cards by calling Vodafone or using Live Chat.

Hi thanks for replying.

Would he be able to keep the same number?

May be worth him calling and giving permission. As he is to frail to be able to do things himself.

hrym

@angelv1973 wrote:

Hi thanks for replying.

Would he be able to keep the same number?

May be worth him calling and giving permission. As he is to frail to be able to do things himself.

The answer to your question is Yes.   All the swap process does is register the new SIM to the account so that the phone will work.

I would also recommend getting authorisation for his account so that you can deal with any queries for him.  However, you won't need it for an online SIM swap - just his account login.

Hi again.

New SIM has been requested. Any idea how long it usually takes to receive one?

Thanks 👍

hrym

That's a difficult one to answer.  It should be a few days.

If there's a delay, or you want it sooner and can conveniently visit a Vodafone shop, they can give you one and also activate it for you.   As the phone is you father's, you may need to take him along so that he can authorise the process.   As I said before, if you can get authorisation to manage his account, you might find than an advantage.   191 can do it for you, but your father will need to be available to confirm his assent.

Thank you. He requested it a week ago. If it doesn't arrive today I will chase it up.

I like the idea of him authorising me to be able to help on his account.

Not sure he would though hahaaa

hrym

I have heard of issues getting replacement SIMs sent out.  That's why I suggested a Vodafone shop, tbh.   I'm pretty sure they'd give you one, even if they wouldn't activate it without your father being present.

Thanks that may be the better option then 😁👍

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@angelv1973 If you need any further help, please let us know 🙂