Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

My Vodafone app doesn't work following Nougat upgrade

aadshead
4: Newbie
I've just upgraded my Nexus 5X to Android 7 Nougat and since the upgrade I can't get the My Vodafone app to work.

I get a couple of seconds of splash screen then a page with a message saying "We're having a few technical difficulties at the moment. We're working hard to get things sorted." Underneath is a big 'retry' button.

I've tried clearing cache, resetting the app and uninstall/reinstall but none of these change anything.

Any similar experiences
81 REPLIES 81

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Its possible the App is catching up with the new firmware. 

There could be an update to the app coming if this is a widespread issue. 

Is your online myvodafone option working ?

As a precaution it maybe beneficial to speak with customer service on 191 or Live Chat just to check things at Vodafone's end.  

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

There was a new version of the App released a few days back. I updated the App on two phones, and one of them then had to "find" me again.

I live in an area of poor signal, so the finding process can be a bit painful, but it was exceedingly painful this time around, although my impression was that the data signal was better than average. The "technical difficulties" message kept coming up, although in my case it was always after quite a long time trying. I was about to give it up as a bad job, and was lamenting the impossibility of rolling back to the previous version of the App, when it finally managed to find me. Having done that, it seems to run fine on wifi.

So it might be a compatibility problem with Nougat, but it might be an issue with how the new version of the App handles the "finding" process (or both). The new version has certainly been a long time a-coming, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a further minor update was needed.

AnnS

Hi @aadshead

After backing up your content, it is advisable to do a factory reset before and after a major update. Although time consuming and inconvenient, this clears out any remaining bugs left from the previous firmware. You should then be able to reinstall your applications from Play Store.

Before doing a factory reset, it is advisable to remove the SD and SIM card.

Hopefully, this should sort it out for you.

hrym

You could also try running Clear Data on the app itself  - look in Apps in the main Settings menu.   Some of the apps I use are only coming up with Marshmallow compatibility updates now, though they've been working happily anyway.   One of the downsides of being what amounts to an early adopter is that you can run into compatibility issues as everything else catches up.

bobpullen
8: Helper
8: Helper

@aadshead wrote:
I've just upgraded my Nexus 5X to Android 7 Nougat and since the upgrade I can't get the My Vodafone app to work.

My Nexus 6 has been the same for months.

Across all iterations of the developer preview, and the final release that was rolled OTA this morning.

Very frustrating, certainly when reading things like this.

Can't help but wonder if the S7 Voda are giving away will even run their app when Nougat is pushed to it? :smileywink:

hrym

@bobpullen wrote:

Can't help but wonder if the S7 Voda are giving away will even run their app when Nougat is pushed to it? :smileywink:

My guess would be that an update will be coming soon, and certainly before Vodafone start selling devices with Nougat installed.

@hrym wrote:
... and certainly before Vodafone start selling devices with Nougat installed.

Admittedly not quite the same thing, but my Nexus 6 is contracted from/supplied by Vodafone and the Nougat update came over the air.

One could reason that they've already sold me a Nougat device :smileywink:

hrym

I wasn't aware Vodafone were selling the Nexus range and I can't see it in the online shop.   If it came from Vodafone, it would be branded and the update would be branded too.   If it came from another supplier such as Carphone Warehouse, they would be the supplier and it would probably be unbranded and receiving updates direct from Google and independently of Vodafone, who would just be the network carrier.  TBH, I'd be surprised if any network has got round to a branded release of Nougat yet.

@hrym wrote:

I wasn't aware Vodafone were selling the Nexus range and I can't see it in the online shop.

They definitely did, and the device was purchased directly from Voda, not a third party.

@hrym wrote:
If it came from Vodafone, it would be branded and the update would be branded too.

It's pure stock/unbranded and always has been.

@hrym wrote:
TBH, I'd be surprised if any network has got round to a branded release of Nougat yet.

It will be a similar situation with last year's Nexus 6p no doubt (which I believe Voda also stocked).