Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

PAY GO 4G APN android settings

alamicupiticu
2: Seeker
I have a Nexus 5X so 40127 can not send me the settings. Which means that without WiFi there is no data connection. I tried to use the settings from the geek squad website but no success.
5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

As its Android the APN Settings should work from Vodafones Device Guide from the SAmsung Galaxy s6 here

I assume it's on the new Marshmallow Os for Android.

Was the phone released for use in the Uk. i.e you haven't purchased it from outside of the U.K.    

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

alamicupiticu
Yes, it is Android 6.0, and it is purchased in UK. I will try the galaxy S6 settings and see how it goes. Thank you.

Ok.

It lists the correct Frequencies and Bands to be compatible so the settings should work and as long as Mobile Data is toggled on in the phones settings it should connect and you have a Data Bundle chosen in your Payg.

Best of luck. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)

@alamicupiticu I have assorted android phones of various vintages, though the Nexus 5X is stuck on my wishlist for the moment. Having looked at the detailed instructions for setting up internet access on the Galaxy S6, I was a bit puzzled by one thing. I have therefore compared the detailed instructions for 4 different phones with the actual settings I have on the phones, and they all display the same discrepancy!

The instructions all tell you to set a username of web and a password of web. All of my phones (including 2 that successfully cope with 4G) have a username of wap and a password of wap. Unless I have totally misunderstood how mobile internet connections are made (which is always possible), I don't believe that the username and password would be determined by OS version. So, if you aren't finding that web works, try wap instead?

If making that change resolves things for you, please report back, and I'll raise this as a possible error in the instructions.

Annie_N

I've since located the Geek Squad instructions for Vodafone APN settings - these make a clear distinction between contract and PAYG, which is in line with what I had been expecting to see on the Vodafone site:

Contract APN - internet (PAYG - pp.vodafone.co.uk)
Contract Username - web (PAYG - wap)
Contract Password - web (PAYG - wap)

There are other differences between the two different sets of instructions, and also with what my phones show, but I have never tried to use MMS, so that may account for some of the differences.