Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problem with VMC 9.4.6 update

malw77
Not applicable
Hi! I have recently purchased a K3565 USB modem which is on the £15 for 1Gb price plan. It's been working fine after initial hiccups. I was advised to upgrade VMC to the latest version, 9.4.6, by a Vodafone support tech, so yesterday I did. However, although VMC recognised my USB modem, and found the 3G network, it couldn't connect, bringing up an RAS error code 619. After trying all the suggestions I found on here to no avail, I gave up, uninstalled everything with Vodafone in it, and reinstalled v.9.3.5 from the dongle. All went well, and I connected to the network ok.

My question is, why doesn't the latest software appear to work with my modem? I did notice one difference when trying various actions to get v.9.4.6 to work - the APN in 9.4.6 is ppbundle.internet, and the APN in 9.3.5 is pp.internet. I've no idea what APN means, but from reading the forums, I think that ppbundle.internet refers to the new 3Gb 30 day-expiry price plan, and therefore wondered if this was the reason that my modem was causing an RAS 619 error with 9.4.6, but connected ok with 9.3.5? If this is the case, does this mean I can't upgrade to 9.4.6? Also I'm expecting a nice new netbook next week, with Windows 7 Starter installed and need my USB modem to work on that. Will it work ok with v.9.3.5 if I have problems updating to 9.4.6?

Hope this isn't too confusing! Thanks for any help!

Mal
5 REPLIES 5

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi MalHW.

You raise an interesting point which I will be feeding back to our device people.

The reason why its not working, is that your currently going through the new APN where you (by the sounds of things) need to go through the older access point.

APN stands for Access Point Name, its basically a gateway into and out of the network (think like a big door that your internet connection runs through.

right! now lets get you up and running.

if you follow these settings you can add the APN into 9.4.6

• Click on manage connections.
  • Click View.
  • Create a new customer connection.
  • Set the APN as pp.internet.
  • Username as web.
  • Password as web.
  • Save and retry.

On the netbook front you shouldn't have any problems, other than adding the above.

if you have any other problems please let me know :)

all the best
BenJ_Vodafone
eForum Team

bacupian
4: Newbie
Hi! I have recently purchased a K3565 USB modem which is on the £15 for 1Gb price plan. It's been working fine after initial hiccups. I was advised to upgrade VMC to the latest version, 9.4.6, by a Vodafone support tech, so yesterday I did. However, although VMC recognised my USB modem, and found the 3G network, it couldn't connect, bringing up an RAS error code 619. After trying all the suggestions I found on here to no avail, I gave up, uninstalled everything with Vodafone in it, and reinstalled v.9.3.5 from the dongle. All went well, and I connected to the network ok.

My question is, why doesn't the latest software appear to work with my modem? I did notice one difference when trying various actions to get v.9.4.6 to work - the APN in 9.4.6 is ppbundle.internet, and the APN in 9.3.5 is pp.internet. I've no idea what APN means, but from reading the forums, I think that ppbundle.internet refers to the new 3Gb 30 day-expiry price plan, and therefore wondered if this was the reason that my modem was causing an RAS 619 error with 9.4.6, but connected ok with 9.3.5? If this is the case, does this mean I can't upgrade to 9.4.6? Also I'm expecting a nice new netbook next week, with Windows 7 Starter installed and need my USB modem to work on that. Will it work ok with v.9.3.5 if I have problems updating to 9.4.6?

Hope this isn't too confusing! Thanks for any help!

Mal

Unfortunately Vodafone keep on making problems for their customers.

You just need to set the correct APN, user, password and dialup phone number in your VMC profile
(with VMC here you have to be offline to edit the settings to do this). In most cases this would just
mean change of APN.

David

malw77
Not applicable
Thanks for the info - I'll update VMC again tomorrow and do as you suggested. I'll let you know if it works :D .... and if it doesn't!! :angry:

Mal

malw77
Not applicable
Hi there! I updated to VMC 9.4.6 and created a new connection using pp.internet and it worked a treat. No RAS error 619 this time! It obviously didn't like the APN being ppbundle.internet. Many thanks!

My new netbook with Win7 Starter should arrive tomorrow and I wondered if it's best to immediately install VMC v9.4.6 and create a new connection before plugging in the USB modem? Or install v9.3.5 from the modem and then update to 9.4.6? Thanks!

Mal :)

Retired-BenJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi MalHW

Glad your up and running again :)

I would go with just 9.4.6 and make the connection, its far quicker and cleaner for you :)

any problems you know where we are.

We're always looking for feedback on how we're handling queries for customers, so if you want to leave any on how I've handled your query today, then you can go here and complete the quick form. Any feedback is appreciated and helps to ensure that we're offering the best service we can for our customers.

All the best
BenJ_Vodafone
eForum Team