Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

RPI Price Increase - April 2017

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Hi all,

I received this wonderful text message yesterday informing me that Vodafone will be increasing my price from 12th April.

"Hello. Just to let you know, from 12 April we'll be increasing your monthly plan by 3.2% - which is in line with the Retail Price Index (RPI) published in March 2017. This means that a monthly plan costing £37.00 will go up by £1.18 a month. This change reflects your terms and conditions - please go to www.vodafone.co.uk/rpi if you'd like to find out more."

I don't mind a price increase, I agreed to that as part of the T+C's, however, I don't agree with the amount that has been quoted.
I took out a 12 month SIM only plan in November of last year and the advisor quoted the following:

"The price plan you have chosen gives you Unlimited Minutes, Unlimited Texts and 20GB. The standard monthly cost for this is £22.20, which will show on your My Vodafone account online. "

The advisor was indeed correct, the figure of £22.20 is indeed what shows on my account, and is what I've been paying for the last 4 months.
With this in mind, the 3.2% increase to my account should be around £0.71, a bit of a difference from the £1.18 that the SMS message states. In fact, an increase of £1.18 would be just over 5% which, please correct me if I'm wrong, would leave me free to exit my contract under section 11b of the T+C's.

Vodafone, how do I proceed with this?

14 REPLIES 14

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi All,

Please be aware that the Retail Price Index (RPI), is applied to your monthly fee, before your discount is applied. 

Therefore the texts you have received, will include your plan amount, before any discounts. 

You can find more information about this here.

Hope this helps :Smiling:

jeffkinn

@Colleen wrote:

Hi All,

Please be aware that the Retail Price Index (RPI), is applied to your monthly fee, before your discount is applied. 

Therefore the texts you have received, will include your plan amount, before any discounts. 

You can find more information about this here.

Hope this helps :Smiling:

@Colleen Please make this crystal clear. Will the new price of £38.18 all be subject to the 40% discount to net down to a new price of £22.91?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Nabs
@Colleen @DroneOn my bill will be increasing by £0.71 not £1.18 as the text suggests?

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jeffkinn That's absolutely right :Smiling: The RPI is added first and then the discount is applied to this new monthly amount.

@Nabs So yes this will be the same for you also. As you have a discount on your account, the price increase will actually only be of £0.71.

Sorry for the confusion. The texts messages are generated by our systems and refer to your plan, before any discounts are applied. 

If you have any further questions, please let us know :Smiling:

donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

I got the message too. I currently have a £32 plan with a 50% discount. The text reads on my £32 plan, the increase is £1.02 so I really only expect to pay an extra 51p which is all good.