Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal V1 not working for 1 week now

soma
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Having had the V1 working for over 5 years, for the last week it's stopped working.  No signal on either of the 2 phones that we currently have in the house registered to the Sure Signal - it's been costing us quite a bit as we have to use a landline to call mobiles.  Very frustrated.  Nothing has changed network wise, ISP is still the same, no change to broadband speeds etc, still plugged into same router....

Light 1 is on constantly.  Light 2 flashes on and off.  Occasionally light 4 flashes on and off too.  lights at back of ethernet cable show data is being transferred.  No 3G signal of any sort however.

Anyway, done the resets as per troubleshooting guide and hoping that the details below will help sort this out.  Could I ask that we receive the latest firmware upgrade please as it looks from other posters that this has helped.

Speedtest Results

Ping: 23ms

Download Speed: 6.12mbs
Upload Speed: 0.89mbs

Pingtest
Line Quality B*
Ping 27ms
Jitter 2ms
Sky Broadband

IP Address

Tracert
  1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3    26 ms    31 ms    31 ms  ip-89-200-131-212.ov.easynet.net [89.200.131.212]
  4    28 ms    26 ms    27 ms  lndgw2.arcor-ip.net [195.66.224.124]
  5    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  85.205.0.93
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Serial Number: 2122165630

Thanks in advance - any help greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

cineriv
16: Advanced member

Hi soma,

If the firmware update doesn't solve it, I would replace your power supply, after 5 years this is the most likely cause of your problem and your symptoms do point in that direction.

More info here ...... 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-1-flashing-but-not-working-possible-f...

Good Luck.

Mike.

View solution in original position

26 REPLIES 26

cineriv

Hi soma,

If the firmware update doesn't solve it, I would replace your power supply, after 5 years this is the most likely cause of your problem and your symptoms do point in that direction.

More info here ...... 

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/SureSignal-1-flashing-but-not-working-possible-f...

Good Luck.

Mike.

I cant belive some people are replying with suggesting changing a power supply......the reason I say this is  just over a week ago Vodofone sent out thousands of emails saying that your suresignal had been deregistered due to inactivity.   It transpires after a few days so many people who had these emails were using the sure signal on a daily basis.

SO please tell me why such a coincidence exists that means everyones power supplies have failed just at the same time they get an email saying they have been de registered.  The chnaces of this happening to everyone is way more than winning the lottery.

Put simply 1.  Vodafone has cocked/messed  up something somehwre and does not have the abiity to solve the problem quickly...if at all....

or

2. vodafone  want people to shell out another 100 quid for a piece of junk that allows the other piece of junk to actually work when at home.

Thanks for the replies so far.

cineriv - good shout on the power adaptor.  I will try that if I don't get any resolution through firmware or Vodafone customer services.  I had seen a couple of forum posts on that and will read through your link.

ukracer - interesting stuff.  I haven't received the deregistered email and we are daily users of the Sure Signal - not sure if that makes any difference to the coincidence you have noticed but logging on to the SS dashboard, it's still showing as registered to the correct address.  I'm a firm believer Sure Signal should be free for anyone who wants one - it may become a point of negotiation between myself and Vodafone in the future when I next renew my contract or take my business to another network provider.

cineriv

@ukracer

I have never knowingly suggested to anyone that they should try a new power supply if they have received the inactivity de-registration email or they indicate symptoms that are not power related.

Secondly, significant numbers of V1 power supplies have been failing since the end of last year, not just in the last couple of weeks.

We received the same email on 21st Jan and still not working. Done all the suggested and Vodafone still have no idea when this will be resolved! More like no signal box!!

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @soma 

Everything looks fine with your traceroute. It's worth trying a different power supply as sugessted by cineriv as this has fixed the issue for many users. 

More information about the emails ukracer is reffering to can be found here.

Thanks,

Sukhi

Hi @soma

I would definitely try a new power supply as suggested by Mike.  I did just that and my SS1 was up and running inside 5 minutes.   Check out the thread below.

Forget all the port forwarding nonsense advice given by Vodafone - none of it works believe me I tried so many times.

It is likley to be your power unit - your SS1 will show the lights flashing (mine did too in teh smae order you described) but the problem is enough power is not getting through. 

I know it sounds crazy but believe me I was very sceptical but it worked!

Make sure your power supply is 12v and at least 1.5 amps (2 amps is also okay).  Also ensure the female jack is 2.5mm.  You can get a power supply from a well know auction site for around a fiver.

Good luck.

Raj

Great news - a new power supply unit from flea-bay sorted the issue.  I got a 2amp one and was back to full bar on both the vodafone mobiles in the house within 3 minutes of plugging it in.

Thanks to all that have suggested this route - can I suggest that Vodafone support put this as first step in troubleshooting when the symptoms are as described above.

cineriv

Hi soma,

That's good news to hear, and much cheaper than buying another SS which you would have been directed to do.

Most people have been very suspicious of this remedy as I guess you were, but it has worked for the vast majority of people so far with the type of failure like yours.

After all, they are not professional power units and only have a limited life, when you consider they are running 24/7 for the last 4-5 years it's not at all suprising they are failing rapidly now.

The 2 amp version is a good choice, That's what I now have!

Regards,

Mike.