Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure Signal v3 blew up

DaveSkerrett
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Bought a Sure Signal v3 today,  worked for 2 hours then stopped with a loud band and smell of electrical burning, getting refund tomorrow, wouldn't have another one of these in the house, it was like Watching a test on fake Britain, lucky I was in the room when it decided to blow

112 REPLIES 112

Just had my Sure Signal blow with a yellow flash and bang! Was trying to reset the device as I wasn't getting a signal. Switched off at the mains then when I turned it back on, bang! 

Just out of curiosity I thought I'd Google it and didn't expect to see loads of reports! Quite outrageous nothing has been done about this as this is a significant safety and fire hazard in the right circumstances. 

Hi

Please report this device failing to Trading Standards and you should receive a response in regards to replacements shortly.

Replacements are non quibble (supposedly) and irrelevant to warranty status or where purchased.

They should not expect anything in return for one such as contract upgrade or contribution.

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

Where do I get my free replacement (not that I'm sure I even want one of the things again knowing this now!), or who do I speak to?

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@sixspeed I've sent you a private message with further details to contact our team. We'll then be in touch to help.

I've had the same issue. No mobile service at home so wife turned the Suresignal device off and back on again. Device went bang. Spark and smoke came from device and all downstairs sockets tripped and the RCD. My 4 year-old was standing next to her at the time. Quite scarry! Used the online chat service to report the issue and try to get a replacement. The representative was not particularly helpful. Told me to take the device back to the store so the technical person could examine it. Bit of a joke. Went into store and was told that I would need to call Vodafone to discuss it. They could 'repair' the device for £66 as it was out of warranty (had it for 15 months), or I could buy a new one for £69. They did not seem at all concerned that it had blown up. I now realise this is happening to a lot of people, so they'd probably heard it all before. Why is this device still being sold? I have zero mobile signal at home so rely on this device however I am now reluctant to purchase a new one as it seems far too dangerous to have in my house. What if the new one explodes whilst we are out and causes a fire. My previous one failed too and this was a replacement. Apparently the warranty period starts when the first device is purchased - the replacement effectively has no warranty. Not happy.

KipB,

HI, you should view page 1 of this thread...

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-V3-Overheated-Blew-Up-Exploded-Hot-B...

You'll see plenty of info regarding what to do & how to approach Vodafone re getting another device free of charge. You will be given the run around by Vodafone so just persevere!

Good luck, Dave

gsmsecure
12: Established
12: Established

Hi KipB

First of all, this device failing and the previous one should be reported to Trading Standards via Consumer Direct with details below.

In respect to the wasted journey to a shop to be told a load of rubbish in respect of repairs you should claim this as consequential loss for you travel and time.

The shop should not have done nothing less than arrange a replacement as detailed on Page One of my thread opened on the subject 18 months ago that Dave posted earlier.

Which shop was it?

With regard to the previous replacement you still are within 6yrs to claim a refund and suggest once you have received the further replacement that you subsequently claim for the cost of this too.

Write a letter giving Vodafone 28 days to refund the cost and if they refuse go ahead and use www.moneyclaim.gov.uk  to start a small claims recovery.

You will be successful and I am happy to assist you in your evidence for the claim.

The joke is that they are not worth repairing and you've been simply quoted the price for a new one.

I am shortly due to update West Berkshire Trading Standards as to the continued refused to exchange both in chat and in stores so please ensure yours are reported so that they are on the database.

Kind Regards 

It is important to report all failed SureSignal V3 using the links below to:

BBC's Watchdog: https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Trading Standards: Call them on 0345 4 040506

Vodafone CEO: http://www.ceoemail.com -  (Search Vodafone UK)

Hi. The store was at Clarks Village, Street, Somerset. I have reported the issue on Watchdog site and will contact Trading Standards also.

I will write to Vodafone to request a replacement free of charge, however I am nervous about using the device in future in case the consumer unit trips again when we are away, resulting in freezer shutting down etc.

Do you know if the newer models have the same faults?

Kind regards

KipB

KipB,

Personally & professionally I doubt these devices (even the 'new' ones) should be left switched on when your office/home is not occupied. I only have mine on when I am around so I may monitor it's volatile state!

I think it's foolish & ignorant of VF staff to recommend any different!

Cheers, Dave

Hi KipB

I will write to Vodafone to request a replacement free of charge

The Vodafone reps on the forum should be able to help you with getting your SS3 replaced if you ask them. It'll save the long, drawn out process of writing by snail mail. However frustrated you are by the situation, please don't take it out on them. It's not their fault. And they will be trying to help. I've been through this with two of the original version 3 SureSignals which suffered failures at different times and I was annoyed about it, so I understand the hassle involved. But the VF guys were excellent. I'm sure they'll be helpful wih what is, by now, a well documented issue.

I am nervous about using the device in future in case the consumer unit trips again ...... Do you know if the newer models have the same faults?

I've been running the two replacements permanently for maybe 18 months now, 24 hours a day, without any problems. Advice I've seen elsewhere suggests that you don't use the power socket on the face of the unit to plug anything else into it. If I recall correctly, the problem the SS had was to do with a capacitor. The latest ones seem to have been redesigned, or have a higher quality capacitor.

If you've got a compatible phone and are on one of the supported tariffs, Vodafone's WiFi Calling feature will allow you to use your domestic wifi, which would remove the need for a SureSignal. It's not as full an implementation as EE's but if you've the right phone, the right tariff and, of course, wifi, it seems to work well.

Whichever route you choose to take in solving the problem, I hope you get it sorted.

Good luck!