Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Sure signal V2 repeatedly dropping modem connection for no apparent reason

louisefoers
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Had the V2 over a year, no problems. For about 10 days, without any change/ interruption to Internet, the box keeps dropping out and the 2 modem lights on the back are out. I unplug at both ends ( router and sure signal) and it resets, but will repeat the drop several times a day, so can be mid conversation.
Have reset router and reset sure signal and all works fine, but then the lights go out. It often resets itself, but the drop out is infuriating. Can't understand what the problem could be - seems to have come from nowhere. How do I ensure this doesn't keep happening?
14 REPLIES 14

Retired-Matt_Vo
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi

Please take a look at our Sure Signal Troubleshooting thread. If this doesn’t resolve your query, please post your reply either below, or in the relevant thread, together with the details requested, including the following information.

Your speed test results from here.

Your ping test results from here.

Your external IP address from here.

The results of a traceroute.

Your Sure Signal serial number:

VSS Traceroute command

On a PC:

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

Matt

Ping 15ms

DL  5.38

UL  0.58

External IP  195.59.12.208

Traceroute

212.183.133.177 is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Serial Number:40120503582

Hi louisefoers,

Thanks for the information, your IP address is on our whitelist, so no problems there.

Your speed test and ping tests are fine. It’s a shame you are unable to provide a traceroute, are you using a Mac?

If you are, to run a traceroute open Terminal (Applications, Utilities) and then type traceroute 212.183.133.177 and press enter.

I’ve checked your serial number and can see that your Sure Signal connected to our servers at 19:06 yesterday, are you still getting the dropped connection?

To make certain your Sure Signal is as up to date as possible, I’ve just resynced it for you.

To make sure it completes, can you do a factory reset for me:-

• Find the button on the base of the unit next to the Ethernet ports
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around one hour

Let me know how you go on.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I have reset as you requested so currently its doing its thing. in my expereince, it can take several hours to sort itself.

I have a laptop and an ipad and have done all your tests on the laptop over plug in internet.

I dont understand your comment " to run a traceroute open Terminal (Applications, Utilities) and then type traceroute 212.183.133.177 and press enter." no idea how to do that.

Once the SS has reset itself, I will keep an eye on its drop out and get back to you if necessary. Hopefully the resync will solve the problem ...

This morning once again I have no phone signal as its dropped out again. It may come back up quickly, or may take several hours. It is likley to drop in and out randomly for the rest of the day.

This is much more than a re-sync issue and I suspect I need a new Sure signal. Mine gets very hot and the front is starting to discolour from the heat I suspect.

I work from home and urgently need a solution now as i've put up with it for 2 weeks

I left a message yesterday about requiring more help with running a trace route.

why can't someone just call me and sort this?  Oh wait.... you wont be able to get through....

Hi Louisefoers, 

We need to establish if the fault is with the Sure Signal. Can you try it on a different Internet connection (at a friend or family members perhaps?) and let us know the outcome? 

Thanks, 

Kay

No I can't! It takes 24hrs to configure and I need my phone for work
I live in the middle of nowhere and am not wasting my time seeing if your kit works!!
No one has replied to help me with the question I had about doing a trace route thingy?

This is not working and you are not helping!

Hi louisefoers,

Unfortunately we need to do specific tests to see where the issue lies.

If it is a faulty Sure Signal then a repair can be arranged.

In regards to the traceroute, the instructions Andy gave were for a Mac computer because it failed to run with the first set of instructions.

If you use your normal windows laptop, use these instructions.

Click on Start and select Run

Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok

A black box will appear.

In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter

Paste the output of this command into your reply.

James

James

I've already done the traceroute tests as you request several days ago but my laptop won't do it and I already posted the results!! Why are you asking me to repeat things I've already done? If you check back through the thread you will see the follow up advice I got on how to run a trace route on my laptop and my request for clarification which I, still waiting for. Every day I get a different person not helping means not moving this forward at all.its clearly an issue with the sure signal and the drop outs are now lasting much longer. You are not helping at all. Once again, perhaps someone can look back at the technicians thread and answer my question re trace route!!!!!