cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 VSS Lights (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

2,480 REPLIES 2,480

jhopkins.

Presumably, that will only work with O2 registered handsets?   Not a lot of use for anyone with a Vodafone handset.

They do say that signing up for it will make changes to "your O2 account".

Regards.

Dave B.

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

@Chr12 – The details you’ve given are all ok.

What’s happening and can you also let us know your Sure Signal serial number?

@SRM – If possible, please test it at a friend or family members address.

@Gogar – Please double check the Sure Signal serial number you’ve provided (it’s showing as invalid).

@jhopkins – I’ve replied to your other post here.

Thanks,

Gemma

Hello Gemma,

Serial number 42143520999

I'm not sure ahwt more I can say about "what's happening?"  Despite numerous attempts to get this up and running the result is the same i.e. the status lights as above.

Thanks in anticipation of your help to resolve this,

Christopher

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Chr12

So far everything you've posted looks fine.

So we can rule out a fault with the Sure Signal, please connect it using a different Ethernet cable and at another location such as a friend or family members (preferably with a different internet service proder).

@Andyrhys

The latest light sequence is the Sure Signal initialising. This usually takes around six hours and then you'll be up and running.

If you're not, please provide the Sure Signal serial number again as the one above is not recognised.

@tonypattinson and @yewcorner

Thanks for letting us know you're up and running.

@tdant730

The IP address is not showing in our whitelist so I've requested that the range is added and this takes around 48 hours.

After this time has passed, reset the Sure Signal and let us know how you get on.

@chrisblair

If it works at home then there's something that's conflicting with the Sure Signal in the setup at work.

Please ensure the following ports are open:

Ports to be opened for forwarding

• 8 (TCP & UDP)
  • 50 (TCP & UDP)
  • 53  (TCP & UDP)
  • 67 (UDP)
  • 68 (UDP) 
  • 123 (UDP)
  • 500 (UDP)
  • 1723 (TCP & UDP)
  • 4500 (UDP)
  • 33434 - 33445 (UDP)

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 183.133.177-179
  • 183.133.181-182
  • 183.131.128-191

I can see it's registered successfully, so once the above steps have been followed please perform a reset:

Press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds to factory reset the device. This is will trigger the software reload and profile sync to the Femto.

DaveCD

Thanks Dave CD.

Using an alternative Ethernet cable did not resolve the problem.

Trying at an alternative location will be difficult & I'd prefer to try alternatives first.

Please note that my DLINK DIR-645 router utilises a seperate DLINK DSL- 320B modem. I am liaising with DLINK technical support to ensure that both are configured appropriately.

Please confirm that the attached port forwarding rules are correct (screenshot from DIR-645)

Thanks in anticipation,

Christopher

@Gemma  / Voda Team

Re #2169 - ufortunately, I don't have access to a non-BT router

I just love this company!! We can't get you a  mobie signal for your  £25 per month , so could you supply a  broadband  connection and router and spend £100 on this  gizmo. Oh...it isn't  working....could you  get another  router  to try and also pester your  neighbours  to use  their broadband. Anything else I can do for you while I'm at it? But just in case  you're  worried  VF....I'm still paying  my monthly  amount so I can sit and stare  at my useless  mobile phone.....but I do get the pleasure  of locking horns  with the phantom 'techies' on here......funny  how  they never  seem to reply, isn't it ?!!

@ Dave CD

Hi.

Why do you keep quoting bad IP addresses?

Quote...

IP addresses to be allowed on the router & firewall

• 183.133.177-179
  • 183.133.181-182
  • 183.131.128-191

UnQuote.

NOTE!  The first octet is missing!

Dave B.

Hi

My sure signal now only shows the orange light to the right (phone) and flash light. No other lights are on.

To confirm serial number 42150794826

Please kindly advise?

Thanks

OK Gogar.

From the public IP you quote, you appear to be using a BT fixed IP ADSL line.

If you have the infamous BT "Business Hub" on that site, sadly, forget it!   As it can't be configured correctly to pass what's needed, though I think someone on here managed it with an earlier version...

Try a more capable router, one that can have multiple rules set that relate to external IP addresses, not just protocols and ports.

The only thing you'll need, is your BT ADSL account/login details to get any alternative router to connect to BT's servers.

The main thing, is needs it's MTU value set to 1500, and/or the Firewall be able to pass "Fragmented Packets", that many of the BT supplied units cannot do.

Others on this list, have found that other routers, with just that feature enabled allow the Sure Signals to work regardless of any MTU setting.

Don't bother trying to poke arround the Sure Signal itself, there is no available or accessable user interface portal, nor something to ssh into (they run an embedded Linux of some sort.)   I too tried all that!  :Smiling:

They also do not work correctly, if there is a "Hub" between it and your router/gateway, as for whatever reason, the DHCP thing fails.   A propper network "Switch" is fine however.  (We use one such.)

I personally had our SSv3 running at home for a few weeks, on a Demon ADSL line, with no issues at all.  I have a Netgear DG1000 series "consumer grade" router there, I also found that my router did not need any special firewall rules, other than "not to block" any of the needed protocols or ports.  Incoming or Outgoing.   The only thing I did need to do, was get the SS assigned a stattic IP address on my LAN.

However, I did find, that when it does start to work, it can take several hours for the thing to do updates, restarting several times, before it settles down to it's usable state.

So long as the Red light is not flashing, and the Internet light is slowley fading up/down, LEAVE IT ALONE!   It will probably do what's needed and sort itself out.

Whatever you do, do not press that reset button, else it seems to need to do all the updates and restards again.

Once it's configured itself and has been working, any power interuption, and it'll re-sync within a few minutes at most.

We only got the same SS to work here, after ditching the BT supplied router, replacing it with a Draytek Vigor series device (overkill, but nice) that also bypassed the VDSL modem (we have the infinity service) as our Vigor has a built in VDSL modem.

With a little help from an IT type who knew his way arround the Draytek's config pages better than I did, it then all sprang into life, and has been working fine ever since.

But again, the critical setting was "Allow Fragmented Packets", and setting the routers MTU value as high as it would go.  (Idealy 1500)

The sure signals can work on a BT line, but in general, not with BT supplied hardware!..

Hope something helped.

Regards.

Dave B

(Vodafone, part of, Not.)