Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone K4505 Dongle - It Installs Ok But Then Won't Connect More Than Once

jrowlandjones
Not applicable
Hello,

I have the following stack

Dell 830 with 3G internal device (not used) but software installed.
K4505 usb device
Vodafone Mobile Client 9.4.4 on usb device
Vodafone Mobile Client 9.4.6 standalone download.
Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

I am having the following issue.

After an initial successful installation of 9.4.4 from the K4505 usb device I am able to happily browse on a 3G roaming connection. However, if I unplug the K4505 and then plug it back in things go horribly wrong. The driver tries to re-install (which takes an age) and then it fails. Firing up the VMC 9.4.4 it says that no device is detected (not surprising). If I uninstall the VMC and uninstall &delete the driver (latter part never happens gracefully) and reboot I can then get another clean install and connect again.

I have looked around and found that 9.4.6 of VMC is available and downloaded that. However, after installation it doesn't recognise the K4505 when I plug it in. It does however pick up the fact that I have the internal 3G device.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I am trying to uninstall the other software (Dell Broadband Utility) and will also attempt a complete uninstall of the 9.4.6 VMC and try again but frankly I am not optimistic. Could it be that I have an old firmware on the K4505 itself. It really shouldn't be this hard....

Cheers, James
Cheers, James
15 REPLIES 15

jrowlandjones
Not applicable
Quick Update.

I noticed another thread that talked of issues when VMWare Player was installed. I have VMWare workstation 7 installed and thought the resolution provided might resolve my problem. I have installed the drivers and the USB Device is now discovered - so that is good news.
However, the story doesn't end there. I now have the issue that whilst my USB device is recognised by my PC (i.e. I see it as a disk) I am not seeing a Vodafone device listed as the actual 3G device.
Cheers, James

jrowlandjones
Not applicable
This was the forum thread contained the link to the VMWare driver update...

Forum Thread

at the bottom is this link to an updated set of VMWare Drivers

VMWare Drivers

I still can't get it all working though :(
Cheers, James

jrowlandjones
Not applicable
I have also noticed that in device manager it used to be recorded at "other device" but now it device shows up under Modem.

So in summary before I could only get it to work after the initial install until I pulled out the USB Stick

Now the usb stick is fine and happy (and shows up as active in my Manage Devices in the VMC) but it can't find any networks.

For the record the laptop hasn't actually moved so I don't believe this is an issue with there being no network available. My E71 Mobile which is right next door can pick up a 3G network.
Cheers, James

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi JamesRJ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues here :(

Would it be possible for you to completely uninstall VMWare, and re-test the modems for us? Previous customers have mentioned that the mere presence of the USB Arbitration Service on their system has caused issues, so I would like to be able to rule this out as a potential cause.

Please let us know what changes it makes, if any, to your symptoms :)

Jon

eForum Team

jrowlandjones
Not applicable

Hi JamesRJ,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues here :(

Would it be possible for you to completely uninstall VMWare, and re-test the modems for us? Previous customers have mentioned that the mere presence of the USB Arbitration Service on their system has caused issues, so I would like to be able to rule this out as a potential cause.

Please let us know what changes it makes, if any, to your symptoms :)

Jon

eForum Team

Hi Jon,

I cannot at this time as I don't have the install with me (away on business).

Is there anything else I can try?
Cheers, James

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi JamesRJ,

It sounds like your modem is installed correctly if the drivers are now recognised. As it's not finding a network though, the issue may possibly lie with the SIM card. Can you let me know what colour the flashing light on your modem is, and how frequently it's flashing? I would also recommend testing your SIM card in your E71 and attempting an internet connection. If the problem does turn out to be with the SIM card, you'll be able to pick up a new one free of charge from any Vodafone Store.

George
eForum Team

jrowlandjones
Not applicable

Hi JamesRJ,

It sounds like your modem is installed correctly if the drivers are now recognised. As it's not finding a network though, the issue may possibly lie with the SIM card. Can you let me know what colour the flashing light on your modem is, and how frequently it's flashing? I would also recommend testing your SIM card in your E71 and attempting an internet connection. If the problem does turn out to be with the SIM card, you'll be able to pick up a new one free of charge from any Vodafone Store.

George
eForum Team

Thanks George,

The K4505 does a double green flash followed by a pause for a second or two and then another double green flash.

Not sure what that means. In the VMC it just sits there searching for a device. N.B. on a clean install this worked fine not sure why.

I have also put the 3G card into my E71 phone. it said that the SIM card failed registration and then when I tried to access the web it said Packet data not available. I am not sure what either of these means.

Kind Regards, James
Cheers, James

Retired-Andy_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi JamesRJ

I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems getting this connected. The error messages you have described from the E71 would definitely indicate that there is a problem with the SIM. Either the SIM is faulty or it has not been connected properly.

I have sent you an e-mail requesting some further information which will allow me to access your account so that I can check that the SIM card has been connected properly. If you could include the full number written on the SIM card with your response this will speed matters along a bit.

Cheers

Andy H
eForum Team

jrowlandjones
Not applicable
Thanks Andy.

I haven't received it just yet but will reply as soon as I get it.

Cheers, James
Cheers, James