Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone K4505 Dongle - It Installs Ok But Then Won't Connect More Than Once

jrowlandjones
Not applicable
Hello,

I have the following stack

Dell 830 with 3G internal device (not used) but software installed.
K4505 usb device
Vodafone Mobile Client 9.4.4 on usb device
Vodafone Mobile Client 9.4.6 standalone download.
Windows 7 x64 Enterprise

I am having the following issue.

After an initial successful installation of 9.4.4 from the K4505 usb device I am able to happily browse on a 3G roaming connection. However, if I unplug the K4505 and then plug it back in things go horribly wrong. The driver tries to re-install (which takes an age) and then it fails. Firing up the VMC 9.4.4 it says that no device is detected (not surprising). If I uninstall the VMC and uninstall &delete the driver (latter part never happens gracefully) and reboot I can then get another clean install and connect again.

I have looked around and found that 9.4.6 of VMC is available and downloaded that. However, after installation it doesn't recognise the K4505 when I plug it in. It does however pick up the fact that I have the internal 3G device.

Does anyone have any advice for me?

I am trying to uninstall the other software (Dell Broadband Utility) and will also attempt a complete uninstall of the 9.4.6 VMC and try again but frankly I am not optimistic. Could it be that I have an old firmware on the K4505 itself. It really shouldn't be this hard....

Cheers, James
Cheers, James
15 REPLIES 15

jrowlandjones
Not applicable

Thanks Andy.

I haven't received it just yet but will reply as soon as I get it.

Cheers, James

Andy I haven't received your email yet. Perhaps you could re-send it?

Kind Regards, James
Cheers, James

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi jamesRJ,

I have just sent this again for you now, if it doesn't appear in your inbox, please check your Junk/spam filters as we sometimes get caught up in there.

James
eForum Team

jrowlandjones
Not applicable
Thanks James I have now replied to this mail.
Cheers, James

jrowlandjones
Not applicable
The issue has now been resolved.:lol:

As I am a corporate customer I had someone look at the SIM and they reset some things centrally.

I then had to put the data SIM into my Nokia E71 and possibly importantly* browsed a couple of pages on the web. This transferred some settings onto my SIM. I then transferred the data sim back into my K4505 dongle and now it works.

* I tried this once before but it didn't seem to transfer all the access point/user name and password info onto the SIM. Whilst I had it on and got a valid network I didn't browse the web on that first occasion. Without this information a connection was made but I wasn't getting onto the network and getting an IP address assigned.

So for me these were the steps I had to take to resolve.

1) Install latest VMC (9.4.6 at the time of writing)
2) Install VMWare Hotfix
3) Get someone to change some settings on the Data SIM
4) Put data card sim into my nokia E71 and then browsed the web before returning SIM back to K4505 dongle.

I therefore think there were three issues at play
1) I am using Windows 7 64bit
2) I have VMWare Workstation installed
3) My SIM got corrupted somehow

Anyways the issue is now resolved. Many thanks to all of you who assisted me in getting to a resolution.

Cheers, James

P.S. One piece of feedback - the fact you guys can't look into corporate customer accounts and help with the SIM part is a bit pants. I am a vodafone customer not a department of vodafone customer. The fact you guys hit a wall internally in trying to help me is something that should be resolved. That said I really appreciate the fact that you did everything you could do to resolve my problems - I do understand "the system" let me down not you guys on the front line!
Cheers, James

Retired-Martin
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi JamesRJ

Brilliant news that this is now resolved, and thanks for posting the resolution to this issue.

If you have any further questions please let us know :D

Martin
eForum Team

jrowlandjones
Not applicable
One final update - VMWare has now posted v7.1 to VMWare Workstation. I believe this has now resolved the issue I had.
Cheers, James