Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone connect router DHCP settings

mattman
4: Newbie

I have posted this into off topic as I can not see any reference to Vodafone Home phone and Broadband.

I have install the router and all is working but there one thing that is missing from the setting of the VDSL router that being a function to turn off DHCP, I have for the pasted 10 year had my own network running at home with a fully working server that is my DHCP & DNS server but for the first time in history I have just sign up for 18 month and got a bloody router that has no function in the GUI settings pages to turn OFF the DHCP server. So for now I will have to wait for 18 months before I can change ISP. thanks vodafone tech team for missing this one. If there is anyone out there that can offer me a firmware update to give me the function to turn OFF DHCP then please post it.

602 REPLIES 602

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

@entwisi wrote:

Voda seem to be the only company who wont allow use of own equipment so personally 

I believe that Sky also requires you to use their own equipment.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

With Sky it depends what service you receive.

Normal DSL broadband and you can use your own equipment but choose FTTC broadband and you are duty bound to use their router which to be frank, is a cheap piece of rubbish.

jeffkinn

Personally I wouldn't sign up to a broadband service that forced me to use one specific piece of kit, even though I'm happily using the Home Hub that BT have supplied to me.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Last week changed ISP to Vodafone.

After spending several hours attempting to change the DNS settings, it appears the router is locked down. My understanding is this is specifically designed custom firmware replacing the firmware that would usually exist on the router, thus limiting some of the options available. This is usually done to make supporting these routers easier - which is the main reason ISPs do it.

I didn’t realise the router was so locked down and had I known this I would not have changed ISP. Very, very disappointing.  

I am paying for Internet connection not for an ISP to dictate how to set up my home LAN and regret my decision.

I fixed my NAS, Media servers and SONOS problems!! The issue started with me when the router firmware updated OTA. I hard reset my router and setup new networks and passwords,Key is setting up new networks... everything seems to be working now. I work in IT and it must be an issue when migrating the old settings when OTA ugrrading the router. I had a bunch of stuff in my settings passthroughs, noip, etc but it seems to all be working well now :Smiling:

I hope that it works for you!

atnas666
2: Seeker
This not a work around at all as twitch is a Internet service not home network. More to the point I don't use nor want to use wifi on my pc.

Thanks tho..

1 thing no where in any terms does it say u have to use there router. So technically they r not providing u with the service u r paying for. (If u want to use ur own router)

I had a response from customer service and a very helpful Level 3 Vodafone engineer has been a great help in getting my firmware updated 

I am now on:

Software version 5.4.8.1.160.13.77

Vodafone Connect router model name Vodafone Connect

Vodafone Connect router hardware version ADB 963168_ADBVOX25

Most of the slow ping times and overall router responiveness is now much better than previously - Though there is still no alternative DNS / DHCP options in this version.

I have not yet tested the Wireless performance since the update, as I'll probably stick with the Apple Airport Extreme tethering that I put in place

Things do seem to be getting better

That's the firmware version my box says it's alredy on.. It did reboot on it's own the other night so maybe they are updating centrally.

It's not that much better though. Interface still really slow and just ran namebench to check DNS performance. 8.8.8.8 (Google) - 140ms. 192.168.1.1 (Router) - 396ms... This is still a significant difference.

VSSAK
4: Newbie
I've checked a few stats out today and ping times and speed tests are much better with the latest firmware

Tried the latest version of namebench to try and compare and it just gives me an error saying my isp is blocking it's atmpts to connect and that it cannot run the test

My Vodafone sure signal has stopped working too

atnas666
Ha well according to must thing I'm in the neitherlands now I'm with vodafone