cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why do I have to accept a Refurbished phone?

pw4rd
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Can someone explain why I have to accept a refurbished phone?

I'm in a 2 year contract and my iphone was faulty so had to visit shop so they could send it for repair but they lost the phone. So they sent me a 'new phone' which when I collected was a refurbished phone and I was told they should have said refurbished phone at the time. So reluctantly I accepted it. But the refurbsihed phone turned out to be faulty so I've had to make calls and go back into the shop again when I asked for a new phone but they said they cant do that and I have to accept another refurbished phone. The numbers of calls, effort and time I've spent on this whole situation is really just not fair.

Also - can I ask for a refund instead? Is that worthwhile or will they just pretend the cost of the phone was nominal against the contract cost itself? Paying circa £22 p/mth for iphone 5s.

3 REPLIES 3

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @pw4rd

Vodafone will be replacing the same as they lost, that is a second hand phone with a refurbished phone of the same specification.  Refurbished phones should be as good as new and fully checked and working, it was unfortunate that the phone you were given was faulty.

With the contract being airtime only, this means you need to continue with the agreement and the monthly line rental.

Hopefully, the next replacement phone will be working and in good condition.

Thanks for your reply. I just dont get why that is fair? It was new phone to me under contract.

I can't think of any other product where this happens. If I buy a product that develops a fault and I take it back you either get a refund, allow them to repair it, or you get a new replacement. I've never come across a shop telling me or anyone I know that as a customer you have to accept a refurbished item instead.

Why is it accepted procedure for phones? What is the difference?

BandOfBrothers

If the iPhone is under 12 months manufacturing warranty then Apple would replace it also with a refurb model @pw4rd 

These are usually iPhone's with a new housing round it and are in mint condition.

If a person is claiming through Vodafone particularly if the iPhone is over 12 months old so are claiming within the 24 month manufacturing applied solely by Vodafone then again it's a refurb model or if that one is no longer available then the next model up or one from a list. 

Most of the Networks only provide refurb models. 

My son used his Bank Account cover to claim for a damaged iPhone 6 and they sent him a brand new sealed iPhone. It's possibly the same if claiming through House Contents Insurance. 

I do apprecaite what your saying and agree however the practice of supplying a refurb has been the case since I can remember. 

If the refurb is below acceptable standard then you do have the right to decline it too. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.