main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

iPhone 5 Unlocking

SOLVED
View solved solution
Zachster
3: Seeker

I have just upgraded my iPhone 5, to an iPhone 6. What I want to do, is unlock the 5 handset for a family member to use. Unfortunately, when I attempt to fill in the online firm, I am unable to confirm the imei number for iPhone 5, as I a) my new phone is taking my sim and b) I can't yet put in the family members sim, due to it being a different network, meaning I can't open the imei number.

Any help on how to get this recently old handset unlocked would be most appreciated

Zachster

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
drey_p
16: Advanced member

Hi there

On the iPhone 5 or later, the IMEI number can be found on the back of the device near the bottom.   If you aren't able to read the number there, you will need to put your SIM back into the phone, activate it and enter *#06# on your dialer in order to get the IMEI number. 

PWIAC

View solution in original position

View more options
30 REPLIES 30
drey_p

Hi there

On the iPhone 5 or later, the IMEI number can be found on the back of the device near the bottom.   If you aren't able to read the number there, you will need to put your SIM back into the phone, activate it and enter *#06# on your dialer in order to get the IMEI number. 

PWIAC

View solution in original position

View more options
Zachster
Thanks for your help. Done and now submitted unlock request to Vodafone. Do you know how long this takes?
View more options
drey_p
It takes about 7-10 working days for the unlock to be completed by Apple. There have been a few cases where it has taken over 3 weeks to do.

PWIAC

View more options
lucieeastwood
2: Seeker

Does the unlock code get sent to the phone?  I, on the advice of EE, transferred my phone number to EE so now my vodafone contract is cancelled and I have no access to my phone unless I put my EE SIM in a friend's unlocked phone.  How will I get the message on my phone without a working SIM card in there?  Do I have to keep checking on an unlocked phone? 

Thanks

Lucie

View more options
Retired-Rodney
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @lucieeastwood 

You'll receive an email, confirming when your handset in unlocked (this usually takes up to 10 days).

For more information on our NUC (Network unlock codes) process, please visit our website.

Thanks,

Rodney

View more options
Zachster
17 days and not a word on unblocking. I was told Vodafone were slow, but hell, a courtesy update would be nice.....
View more options
saraahalicerose
1: Seeker

I have sent two emails/ forms through vodaphone to get an unlock code and have not had any emails saying the phone has been unlocked.

This is not the original phone from the contract as it was replaced due to a fault. However i have the correct imei number so why is the phone not being unlocked?

It has been well over a month since the first form was submitted asking for the phone to be unlocked.

View more options
Jodielois
You need to ring and they can check all details on the phone dont let them tell you any different iv been trying for 2weeks finally sorted my detaila out regarding the issue with the imei number however phone still locked i have received an email just waiting for the nuc code hope this helps x
View more options
DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)

@Zachster 

Have you followed the steps to complete the unlocking process of an iPhone.

@saraahalicerose 

Was the phone replaced by ourselves directly? If it was a third party we'll need them to contact us to ensure the IMEI matches the one on our system.

We can take a look at this for you, contact our Live help team.

If they're not there straight away, sit tight and an advisor will be with you as soon as they're available.

DaveCD

View more options
Jodielois
Is there no way i can speak to a person direct as this is really annoying me now, i am classified as a gold member with vodafone but i will happily stand out side each vodafone shop advising people not to use this network as they do not help there customers
View more options
lucieeastwood

I have found vodafone to be very unhelpful in this matter - they will not speak to you about it.  It took a week for vodafone to acknowledge my email in which they told me it will take another 10 working days to unlock.  i'm 8 working days into that...apparently O2 take 48 hours

View more options
Zachster
The phone is Vodafone, it's the old phone on the contract that I want unlocking after upgrading to iPhone 6. Not sure why they need to confirm details they should already have. 6 weeks and counting. Upgrade would not have happened if I had known and another provider found.
View more options
Retired-Laura
Moderator (Retired)

Hi guys,

@Jodielios – Live help will be the quickest way to look into this issue.

@lucieeastwood - We have to wait for the unlocking to be processed by the manufacturer, we'll email you once it’s done.

@Zachester – As the code is sent to us via the manufacturer, we need to take the details to make sure that everything is correct, so we can get the unlocking code back to you.

Please send the request via our network unlocking code form.

Cheers,

Laura

View more options
Zachster
I completed and sent the form over 6 weeks ago! Not heard anything since. The phone is an iPhone 5, spare after upgrading to iPhone 6.
View more options
kids
Community Champion (Retired)

Have you tried connecting the phone to iTunes with a non-Vodafne sim card in it to check whether it has been unlocked?

If it has you will see a pop-up message in iTunes informing you so.

View more options
sarahlleer
Waiting for unlock code
View more options
sarahlleer
There must be an easier quicker way to do this, I phoned Apple to see if they could give me a code directly and they told me that vodafone generates its own codes- they don't get them from Apple- so I think vodafone deliberately makes this process super difficult to make transferring as painful as possible. The reason I am leaving vodafone is due to appalling customer service and this just confirms it. I now have no phone until they decide to be helpful
View more options
sarahlleer
I agree, would never recommend them after this fiasco with getting an unlock code
View more options
jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

@sarahlleer wrote:
There must be an easier quicker way to do this, I phoned Apple to see if they could give me a code directly and they told me that vodafone generates its own codes- they don't get them from Apple- so I think vodafone deliberately makes this process super difficult to make transferring as painful as possible. The reason I am leaving vodafone is due to appalling customer service and this just confirms it. I now have no phone until they decide to be helpful

Apple has told you complete and utter nonsense. iPhones don't use unlock codes at all. Vodafone requests Apple to unlock the phone. To process the unlock you have to sync the iphone with iTunes with another sim card in it. The process is controlled by Apple as they have the unlockk servers under their control.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options