cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Does full fibre make that much of a difference?

lokic
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

They're currently digging up my street to install FTTP. I currently have a rock solid FTTC connection that gets 73 down and 18 up which is more than enough for all day VPN use, game downloads, regular video streaming etc. I've read that the speeds of FTTP can go up to 900mb down which is crazy. How could you possibly make use of that much speed? I'm thinking regular, heavy torrent downloaders? Just seems a bit overkill to me.

Happy to be proven wrong!

2 REPLIES 2

Ripshod
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

There's not going to be any real debate over your question here because you'll be moved to FTTP soon anyway.

As for the speed, if you're happy with the speed you have now then there's really no need to go higher than 100Mbit. I myself make regular backups (downloads) and the occasional restore (upload) to a couple of web servers and find my 500/70Mbit from openreach is more than capable. No need for 900 here.

billhinge
10: Established
10: Established

Many years ago I used to work at BT and travel to international conferences. I got a lift back to Boston US by a couple of Deutche Telecom colleagues. We were talking about national broadband speeds and I said I had free 2Mb, one of the Germans said they also had free 2Mb while the other he had 0.5Mb. When his colleague asked why he didn't get the 2Mb even though it was free his response was 0.5Mb was 'adequate'. Likewise I would say 70+ is adequate for most things

I downloaded a 4Gb software bundle in about a minute which was nice. Do I need it no but its nice to have the headroom and eventually over years it will be the norm, who knows what will happen in 10yrs+

Remember circa 1990 Bill Gates once said 0.5Mb was more than enough computer memory for anyone now I have 96Gb and I don't have to worry