Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Fibre 900 - Replacement Router + Mesh or just Mesh

dwizzo
4: Newbie

Currently using Vodafone mobile broadband but upgrading to full fibre next week. Current setup is MikroTik Chateau 5g due to its carrier aggregation (I get over 130 dl / 35ul) which then connects to google mesh over hardwire to provide WiFi through the house. Assumption is to not use Vodafone provided router (no bridge mode) but should I continue to use current setup, which would allow mobile backup (if ever needed) or just plug google mesh straight into ont? I have my PPPoE details so happy to crack on with either option. Any suggested preferences?

9 REPLIES 9

dwizzo
4: Newbie

Just installed and switched to google mesh only to replace Vodafone router. A few irritations, like google saying it hadn’t connected…oh no, wrong pppoe details…but no, Vodafone helpdesk had got it right, but google just tries to kid you as it had actually connected. Go figure…but it all works. Now to stick MikroTik router on eBay

XR219
3: Seeker

Hi There,

I'm looking at moving to Fibre 900, but all the info on their website says I have to use their router? At the minute I'm with VM and have the VM hub set to bridge mode so that I can use my Amplifi Routers. Does the VF router for fibre 900 support bridge mode so that I can use my own routers? 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@XR219 wrote:
Does the VF router for fibre 900 support bridge mode? 

No it doesn't, but you don't need it to with full fibre, your router will connect direct to the ONT.

You will lose easy access to the phone service, but other than that, everything will be fine.

Are you in an Openreach or CityFibre area?

I’m in an Openreach area, does that make a difference?

Jayach

Only that your upload speeds will be lower than your downloads, but other than that no.

Had it been CityFibre you would need to be able to set a VLAN of 911 on your router, but with Openreach you don't need to.

Hope your switch over goes well.

XR219

Thanks for your help. Ironically City Fibre installed fibre in the ducts last year, but it turns out they weren’t actually allowed to as it’s a new development and BT/VM had some sort of exclusive on it. Openreach put theirs in at the end of November and it was available to order today. Now I need to go through the merry dance of cancellation with Virgin Media 🙄

Jayach

I would keep the Virgin running until the Vodafone is installed and working, just in case of "teething troubles".

XR219

Installed today, took the Openreach guy 10-15 minutes and the VF router came straight up. Got on the VF chat and within 5 minutes had the login details, put them into the Amplifi router and straight up, no problems at all. Very happy. Might look into IPv6 if I’m feeling brave. 

Cynric

@XR219 Don't be too surprised if IPv6 doesn't work.