Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Notifying Existing Provider when moving from FTTC to FTTP

pablopatito
4: Newbie

I am moving from TalkTalk FTTC to Vodafone FTTP next week. I don't know if this will by CityFibre or OpenReach as both are available at my exchange.

Do I need to notify TalkTalk or will Vodafone do that? I spoke to Vodafone and they say they haven't received a line takeover from Vodafone and that if I notify them instead I will incur a charge for the 30 day notice period.

I spoke to Vodafone and they told they won't notify TalkTalk.

I got the impression on the Vodafone website that transfers from TalkTalk would normally be handled by Vodafone, so I am confused.

I am now considering cancelling the order (if I can) and staying with TalkTalk to prevent the 30 day fee.

39 REPLIES 39

OK, I sent a DM a couple of hours ago and am just waiting for a reply. But that sort of misses the point - Vodafone don't tell new customers who the provider is, it is all marketed as "Vodafone Fibre Broadband", so we have no way of knowing if we're supposed to notify our existing supplier or not and Vodafone simply say if you're moving from a non-Openreach supplier like Virgin you should notify them, but don't say if you're with an Openreach supplier like TalkTalk you may need to notify them as well. 

Jayach
16: Advanced member

@pablopatito

In the communications from Vodafone, does it say what speeds you can expect, both up and down?

If it's Openreach the up speed will be lower than the down, If it's CityFibre they will be the same.

I think if both are available, Vodafone prefer to use CityFibre.

Yes, as mentioned earlier, upload and download are the same, so I assume it is CityFibre.

Jayach

@pablopatito wrote:

Yes, as mentioned earlier, upload and download are the same, so I assume it is CityFibre.

Oops, forgot you said that, yes definitely CityFibre then.

Yes, it's CityFibre, they installed it yesterday.

I suppose one saving grace is that because I didn't give notice with TalkTalk my old line still works because the new CityFibre one isn't working. Currently on hold with customer services in the hope they can sort it out (40 minute wait so far). At least they have 30 days to get it working before TalkTalk turn off my old line, but very frustrating.

Thanks for keeping the thread updated @pablopatito - if you need us to check anything, please get in touch as Mark has mentioned above. 

Update. Day 5 of no internet.

I gave up trying to phone after waiting for 2 hours. Had more success with the online chat.

On Friday I was told "there still some work left in the line" and was told it would be working by midnight on Saturday. It wasn't.

Today I was told "I have successfully [manually] configured your router" but that it would be up to 24 hours before it starts working.

Can anyone tell me what manually configuring my router means, and why it then takes 24 hours to take effect?

The problem is, every time I have to wait another 24 hours it is another 24 hours without internet.

Jayach

@pablopatito wrote:

Can anyone tell me what manually configuring my router means, and why it then takes 24 hours to take effect?

I doubt anyone can tell you what that means, as it makes no sense. If they were able to configure your router it would have to mean they connected to it, and if that was the case, it would be working.

Update: Day 6 of No Internet

Back on the chat today. Was told:

"have checked your account properly and can see that the work has been completed and you just need to wait for some time and your services will definitely start working."

I told them this was rubbish and that it's not going to start magically working after 6 days of being down.

They then gave me a supposed number for the "dedicated fibre team" because they said they don't have full access to my account details.

I phoned this number and it appears to just go through to the general Vodafone helpline which I was on hold for for 2 hours last week.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can actually get through to someone who can actually do anything as I'm clearly just being fobbed off? Chat are now refusing to help me anymore, saying I need to speak to the dedicated fibre team, but I can't get through to them.

I've looked in to my rights and it seems I can't cancel the contract until the internet is down for 4 weeks. FOUR WEEKS! Has anyone any advice on whether it is possible to cancel earlier? I understand the 14 day cooling off is from the date I ordered fibre and not the date it was installed, so I have missed that window.

I work from home so need the internet for my livelihood. I really can't afford to be without internet for four weeks (plus the time to find a new supplier).

Jayach

Try contacting the complaints team, although reports on here lately say they are getting as bad as the rest of Vodafone. Complaints Code of Practice | Vodafone

Has your FTTC service with TalkTalk stopped? If so maybe sign up for another FTTC service, cancel the Vodafone FTTP and if necessary take it to CISAS if they try to claim Early Termination Fees, As you have received no service yet it does not seem possible you would not win.