cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Superfast 2 install - engineer visit required?

Forkingabout
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi

I'm in the process of moving my Plusnet FTTC broadband & home phone package over to a  Vodafone Superfast 2 with home phone package.

As I'm currently receiving Plusnet FTTC broadband - do Openreach need to visit my home to complete the upgrade to Vodafone?

Will it be a simple swop down at the cabinet visit OR are Openreach going to need access to my phone master socket?

I understand the Vodafone router will need connecting to the master socket & setting up after the cabinet swop. 

Regards

Lee

10 REPLIES 10

Jayach
16: Advanced member

If you are moving from one FTTC supplier to another, you do not need an Openreach engineer to visit the home, however some like to do an end to end test. 

If you are in an Openreach full fibre area they may install it as FTTP, even though it's Superfast, and that will require an engineer.

Hope it goes well for you.

Effie

Hey @Forkingabout I hope you're well! 

When you sign up for one of our broadband packages you will be advised whether an engineer visit is required or not. If you have been given a specific activation appointment such as 11/02/2022 AM, this means that an engineer is scheduled to visit your home between 8am and 1PM on your activation date. 

If you were simply told that your service would be activated on 11/02/2022 and no AM or PM slot was given, this means an engineer will remotely switch you over and will therefore not be attending your home. 

If you are unsure and want confirmation of your appointment type, please drop the Social Media team a message here and they will happily check this for you. 

I've had a look at my order confirmation & an engineer appointment is booked to it.

Any idea if Openreach will upgrade the phone line to digital at the same time?

Jayach

@Forkingabout wrote:

Any idea if Openreach will upgrade the phone line to digital at the same time?

As I said in my previous reply, if you are in a full fibre area they may, if not in a full fibre area, no.
Does the order confirmation give any idea if it will be FTTC or FTTP/FTTH?

Are you in a full fibre area?

It also depends on what you mean by a digital phone line. Some ISP's now supply the phone digitally even on FTTC, Vodafone don't, although the routers have that ability.

There is no Openreach FTTP in my area but there is Vodafone City Fibre FTTP cables in the street.

I'm currently on a FTTC connection via Plusnet. 

I'm just wondering why I would need an engineer visit for a simple broadband swop over? 

Jayach

As you are in a Cityfibre area, they may be intending to provide it over that, in which case you will need the fibre installed.

Does nothing in the communications from Vodafone give any indication of how they are going to provide it?

If you look at this price list from a Cityfibre area, you can tell that all the services including the Superfast 1 & 2 are over fibre as the up and down speeds are the same. (the prices are out of date)Jayach_0-1643426737083.png

Well a little update.

No engineer visit will be required as Vodafone have cancelled the order but didn't bother to contact me to tell me. I only found out when I clicked the link on my original order confirmation email to check the install appointment. 

The excuse given by Vodafone live chat when I contacted them was the email & also postal address where wrong.

Well I received the thanks for your order & an order confirmation emails & that has my correct postal address on it.

So due to Vodafone incompetence I've gone & renewed with my current supplier.

If Vodafone cant get the basics right I'm not going to trust them with my home phone or broadband supply. 

Jayach

@Forkingabout wrote:

If Vodafone cant get the basics right I'm not going to trust them with my home phone or broadband supply. 

Good call.

Another update:

Had a text message today saying Vodafone would call me about my broadband order, 15 minutes later I received a call.

Apparently the reason my order was cancelled was due to a glitch with the Vodafone ordering system that affected people requiring engineer install visits.

This meant a load of orders placed at the time where cancelled & sales people where now calling affected customers to progress the order.

I informed the sales person it was to late as I had already renewed with my current supplier, Vodafone had lost there chance & I had a screen shot proof of the order saying Vodafone had cancelled it - just in case they tried to play silly games over the lost order.