Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Access point not getting internet

LG_PoT
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have a Vodafone router and have added a wired access point (Tplink) in the garden room. When I am in the garden room I get a 'connected, no internet' message.  Is the router blocking my access point?

8 REPLIES 8

Jayach
16: Advanced member

Blocking no.

But it isn't connecting apparently. How long is the cable, is it the correct spec?

Try with a short cable close to the router and factory reset the the access point first.

Which access point do you have?

Hi - thanks.

It is a long cabble, in a tube underground, about 50ft.  I shall do what you suggest in the house and try that.

Thank you!  That works in the house.  So now I know what the issue is, have you any suggestions about how I can resolve my cable issue so I can put the access point (tplink) down the garden?

Jayach

It sounds like the cable is the problem. Did you install it, can you see any CAT markings on it?

If it's been installed for some time it's probably only CAT 5, and it really needs to be at least CAT 5e. 

If you could force the AP to run at 100Mbs that may get it running over the lower spec cable. I can't see anyway of forcing the speed on the Vodafone router settings.

Ripshod

Many access points (TP-Link in particular) have a wifi 'extender' mode in the menus. So perhaps you could place it somewhere between your router and your garden room in extender mode and give that a blast, until you can get your cable re-run. I may be well off the mark though, depends on the topology.

Hi

The cable was laid in the Spring and is Cat 6. We shall look into getting it tested.  Your advice has been really helpful and I am grateful thanks.

VFbroadbanduser
11: Established
11: Established

You will need to configure TPLink access point with a static IP address and then tell it the gateway address (Vodafone router IP address), this is why it won't connect to the internet.

It is also probably setup to double NAT so you need to turn off DHCP on the TPLink access point and let the Vodafone router handle all the IP addresses.

You can find the gateway IP address of the Vodafone router on the bottom of it. The default IP address on the THG3000 is 192.168.1. 1 you would put this in the TPLink gateway configuration.

@VFbroadbanduser 

Did you actually read the thread?

It works perfectly well on a short cable, so the cable is the problem.

It's also an access point, not a router, so no chance of double NAT.