Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Any thoughts on buying your own router?

jodiej40
3: Seeker

I'm having real problems with my home broadband with wifi speeds fluctuating between 1.2mbps and 26.4 mbps during the day. At times they have been higher, but they are few and far between.

The jitter speed averages at about 20-30 ms and at times has been 507!

I'm thinking this has something to do with what appears to be the internet dropping out, but maybe this jitter speed is just interrupting something, i don't really know, i'm just guessing.

However, after doing some research it suggests buying your own, more powerful router.

Has anyone ever done this and does it work?

I'm tired of waiting for Vodafone to fix this problem and really fed up!

Any suggestions would be most appreciated

5 REPLIES 5

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

These threads may give some insight @jodiej40 

HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-VDSL  and How-to-Set-up-a-third-party-router-with-vodafone/. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

cviclark

Do not unless you know what you are doing. I had a Technicolor from previous ISP replaced with my own Netgear D7000v2 as the system grew. Wifi extenders and powerline adapters for TV and Arlo cameras and have finally come to the conclusion that Automatic and dynamic setups, streaming,, and SMART features are built into the ISP supplied routers that are specifically designed for the ISP..  The problem is ISP,s

cannot support 3rd  party products.

Vodafone’s response is to disconnect all my appliances to get better connection as my line is congested. Can’t say I’m happy with that response. Haven’t got a clue what to do as I’m a technophobe. Feel like dragging the whole system out and setting the thing on fire. 

I installed the freebe VF box, and initially thought all was fine. However on checking the speed found my download had gone from an average of 30 M to less than 20M.  So I have gone back to the Netgear Modem /router.  I have always used my own router over four ISP,s and 30 years of Internet. I like Netgear because there software is good and everything is configurable.   I also like TPLink as their support is very good. I have found that wifi is prone to interference frome neighbours using the same kit/ channels. 2.4G gives best range while 5G fastest speed.  Powerline adapters are best for TV and are truly plug and play. For reliability I use a Tp link 3 port powerline to TV and camera. It has mains pass though but needs to be on single socket.  Both Netgear and Tp link have good Android and windows Aps.  My only problem has been with WiFi extenders as mains sockets are not always available where the ideal positioning is. Most decent moem/routers (hubs) are ugly beasts and have lights that would put Blackpool  to shame.  I had no problem getting the login details off VF but care is needed to input them correctly.  

If most your neighbours are using the same ISP supplied routers and the default set up there is going to be cross channels interference on WiFi and the lines to and from the cabinate at the end of the road will suffer. It is not rocket science and routers are logical devices with Apps to guide you though the setup. Always cable connect to the router to set up check speed, update firmware.  If WiFi is your only option stay close..  Stick to reputable mainstream modem kit and if possible use one supplier for range extenders or powerline adapters. Powerline is a cable from router to a mains plug sender and goes though the house mains wiring to a receiver into you plug an ethernet cable to your TV. You can get mains pass through and 3 ethernet ports.  This gives the same speed, clarity and reliability as a cable to the router.  I have never had a buffer streaming HD iPlayer on my TV but Zoom on a WiFi Tab can suffer in the same room. Community Support Web pages will guide you better than most manufacturers who just want to upsell.