cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Blocked Internet Access for my home alarm - was working, now it isn't - what could be the problem?

rossorocket
2: Seeker

Help! My home Ajax Systems Intruder Alarm is no longer connecting to the Internet. Everything has been fine and working well, using a Vodafone VCNT-1 running s/w 19.4.0551-3261103.

We noticed the alarm system had switched to communicating via the inbuilt SIM card 2-weeks ago.

Since then, we have had to try 2 x new Ajax Hub 2 panels and Vodafone have replaced the router. Still its not communicating via the Internet, only through its inbuilt SIM, which is at additional cost to us.

All other devices in our house have Internet access okay - so why has this happened?

To test this, we connected the Ajax alarm to a friends router or a different ISP, perfect Internet connection, absolutely no issues, able to fukllty access the Ajax alarm system.

Plugged back into our home Vodafone router, no internet connection, no comms.

The Vodafone router appears to be blocking the Ajax alarm system from accessing the Internet. We have set the alarm to DHCP, still can't access an open port or internet. Everything was working fine. now it isn't. Something at Vodafone has changed recently and its causing us massive issues in connecting our Ajax alarm - its made the whole system redundant/useless at a huge cost to us.

Come on Vodafone, help us out here.....

How can I set up a port or open the Vodafone Router to let my Ajax system talk to the internet once again, as it was working perfectly well over the past 8-months or so, with no internet access issues???

27 REPLIES 27

CrimsonLiar
16: Advanced member

If the box connects to the Vodafone router (odd you listed the Technicolor model) have you tried changing the ethernet cable between the router and the alarm box.

Jayach

I'm surprised Vodafone replaced the router for a fault that is obviously not the router. If everything else is working, why would an alarm system problem be down to the router.

I wonder if it could be the parental controls. Change the DNS settings (if you are not already using your own) to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8. That will bypass the controls.

Strange then why the alarm system works absolutely fine when its plugged into a 4G wireless router and also my friends talktalk internet - absolutley no issues, then as soon as you plug the alarm inton the Vodfone network router - it does not connect to the internet.

There is nothing wrong with the Ajax alarm, so by process of elimination, it has to be something in the router settings thats blocking the AJAX alarm system.

Yes, we have instaled a brand new cable - fault still exists.

Move to a known working Internet port at a friends house, the Ajax can see the Internet.

Plug it back into the Vodafone - unable to see internet with the alarm.

Bizarre.

Jayach

Have you tried changing the DNS servers in the router?

Yes, changed to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8, still unable to connect to internet.

Jayach

If changing the router and bypassing the content controls does not  get it to work then I am at a loss to explain it.

Have you tried resetting the alarm and starting again? (I know you are going to say "but it works elsewhere" but a least give it a try)

When you do solve it, please let us know. It's definitely intriguing.

CHS

I too have EXACTLY the same issue…. Wasted hours talking to vodafone agent who couldn’t track down or identify where the problem lat so sent me a replacement router…. exactly the same problem on the new router. Ajax supplied a replacement Hub2 to try and this didn’t work on ethernet either. Set DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 and still didn’t work. Have just received a new TP-Link router/modem so will install this tomorrow and see if I can get the Hub2 up and running on this router…. watch this space. 

Jayach

@CHS 

Interesting you have the same alarm manufacturer, and the same problem. Had yours been working up till now?