Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband keeps disconnecting several times an hour

GJA
3: Seeker

Hi, my high speed braodband stopped working last week, after days of messing about on the phone with the call centre repeatedly asking me to perform clearly pointless tasks with cables and boxes etc. an Openreach engineer finally attended and diagnosed several problems causing intermitten loops. We now have a new Mk4 socket, new phone filter, cables, new main inlet cable connections in to the house and a full internal wiring check. This seemed to cure the problem for a couple of days, but now we are losing internet several times an hour and getting the "no connection restart your router" message, This reconnects the broadband, or if you leave it for a minute it reconnects itself. 

I would like to eliminate the router (in every sense!) how do I get a new router without spending days on the phone being asked to perform pointless tests again ..... I work and am busy plus my sanity cannot take it. Any help would be appreciated, thank you. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gipjon
16: Advanced member

It’s important to know what your rights are when it comes to your broadband service - especially if you’re unhappy with vodafone .  Ombudsman Service and Ofcom has very clear rules.

first of all you don't pay for a router to use vodafone broadband it is up to vodafone to make sure your equipment that is provided to you should be fit for purpose. If equipment supplied is faulty and vodafone does not remedy the issue promptly then you have good grounds for complaint. vodafone should cover all costs even if it means paying for a third party router because the vodafone router wont work on your line which vodafone has already acknowledged that the issues is current , 

You are entitled to compensation and you need to take this up with the complaints department to work out how much you are entitled to at 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints/code-of-practice

if you are still having issues and are paying for sevices you are simple not getting then you can request to leave for free 

ofcom.jpgcompansaion.jpg

View solution in original position

44 REPLIES 44

gipjon

how long have you got befor you can leave 

OTCE

I bought a £40 TP-Link W9970 router and set up with the advice given here: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-...

My disconnection problem was solved immediately.

The router that is supplied with vodafone is terrible. Plenty of people have posted similar issue as you have mentioned.

As has been suggested a third party router is the best way forward. This has resolved similar issues with other members of the forum including as above @otce.

Good Luck :Thumbs_Up:

Thank you people, I will look at the 3rd party options 

So before trying an expensive 3rd party router (why should I pay to replace something that should work?) I tried Vodafone support again, explained that I had spend hours last week on the phone going through pointless "unplug this, connect that" routines which told them there was a "loop". That an Openreach engineer attended two days later checked all internal wires, fitted a new MK4 socket box repaired some dodgy connections at the main VDSL input, used new cables and phone filter. I explained that after all that it was the same, the wi-fi connection remains good but I have intermittent loss of dsl, the modem internet light goes red and I get a "re start your router message".  If you leave it sometimes re-starts itself and works agin for a bit.

Anyway yesterday the support person took me through the usual "pull this, plug that" routines again, then a mind-bending process to set up manual channels on split 2.4 & 5 ghtz. (so another hour of my life I will never get back!)

I kept asking to try a new router and telling her the wi-fi was NOT the issue and I couldn't see how different wi-fi settings would cure a loss of dsl to, or within the router. And of course it has not worked! I still keep getting dsl loss and shutdowns.

I'm now wondering if the original 'loop' (or short-circuit) that openreach found has damaged the router? How DO you persuade Vodafone to send a new router to test? Its the only part of the system that has not been either tested by Openreach or replaced.  I'm now, officially, fed up with Vodafone who seem to do anything to avoid the obvious and supply a new router to try.

No idea what you need to do to get a new router from VF but they sent me another one and the problem persisted anyway. Only cure was a non-VF router. Now at 7 days without a single dropped connection...

Right, thank you. It does look like I need to dip my hand in my pocket for a 3rd party router then :Sad_face:

I'm just not looking to spending even more time on calls to get my router ID and then the inevitable set up process.

I paid less than than £40 for a TP-Link W9970 router on Amazon and used its automatic setup wizard. I was online in less than 5 minutes.

Or just follow the advice here to do it manually: https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Other-broadband-queries/HOW-TO-Use-a-third-party-router-on-Vodafone-...

The online chat with VF customer service is probably the most painless way to get your user ID and password.

Honestly, it's easy and best £40 I ever spent, should have done it 6 weeks ago and saved myself a world of stress.

gipjon

It’s important to know what your rights are when it comes to your broadband service - especially if you’re unhappy with vodafone .  Ombudsman Service and Ofcom has very clear rules.

first of all you don't pay for a router to use vodafone broadband it is up to vodafone to make sure your equipment that is provided to you should be fit for purpose. If equipment supplied is faulty and vodafone does not remedy the issue promptly then you have good grounds for complaint. vodafone should cover all costs even if it means paying for a third party router because the vodafone router wont work on your line which vodafone has already acknowledged that the issues is current , 

You are entitled to compensation and you need to take this up with the complaints department to work out how much you are entitled to at 

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/complaints/code-of-practice

if you are still having issues and are paying for sevices you are simple not getting then you can request to leave for free 

ofcom.jpgcompansaion.jpg