Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Connection dropping out

Jenmb44
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Having a nightmare with my internet connection which has been ongoing since Aug 2019. We've had 5 openreach engineers out and 3 different vox 3 routers and still the connection drops out repeatedly. The speed is currently ok however every time we get multiple disconnections it drops the speed which eventually leads to dropping below the minimum guaranteed speed. When the router drops out now the wifi often does not come back on so we have to switch it off and back on. I'm sick and tired of this now so any help gratefully received! 

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

Generally, if this were a connection issue the WiFi would remain on, it doesn't need to disconnect if there is a problem with the line between your modem/router and the cabinet!

While it is conceivable that you've had 3 bad routers, I'd be looking at other possibilities, such a local industry suddenly causing a voltage drop, or even more local interference - water pumps are great at causing this, including central heating, fish tanks, pump assisted small bore plumbing, fountains, and even garbage disposal units!  Your electricity supplier may even be able to loan you a monitor if you believe the source is external to your property!

Thanks for your reply. The thing is the wifi light doesn't always go out. The internet is really unstable for a while, the speed then drops and it stabilises for a while again until it all starts happening again. We are now below our minimum guaranteed speed again and are awaiting a visit from BT openreach.  Really considering changing providers but I'm concerned that we will still have the same problem just with another supplier. At least with Vodafone I am getting unlimited data for every month it is playing up! Has anyone had problems like this? What was the answer? Speed wise after the openreach visits it always starts off at around 79 mbps, now down to 42 and actually the speed isn't a massive issue it's the disconnections which are!

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Jenmb44 We really do want to make sure we can get your speeds running as they should be! Please let us know how you get on after your Engineer visit - if you do need us after this, please get back to us on the thread here and we can help!

Still dropping out, a further two engineer visits and another booked for Wednesday, am I flogging a dead horse? Perhaps another provider may be the only way forward?!

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Jenmb44 If you find you're still having any trouble after their visit today, please drop us a message on Facebook or Twitter. We can take a closer look into your connection for you. By including your Community username and a link to your post, you won't need to write out your query again.