Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

One answer for my high ping.

Ripshod
16: Advanced member

I was recently involved in the other high ping topic that's now under investigation. I've backed out of that one because everyone except me was with Cityfibre. So I've done some digging.

I'm in West Yorkshire but my IP resolves to Edinburgh. With this in mind I've done some speedtests. I used the vodafone broadband speedtest (Ookla) and could only test to Lothian and the Borders including Edinburgh. I chose the Vodafone Edinburgh server and my ping came out as a very healthy 11ms. I was quite happy with that so thinking everything was fixed I tested on the Ookla site with the Vodafone Manchester server and was back to a 21ms ping. I've repeated the same tests on speedtest.net with the same results.

My only conclusion is that my IP is routed via Edinburgh because that's where the system thinks I am.

Short story:

I'm in West Yorkshire

Ping to Manchester 21ms

Ping to Edinburgh 11ms.

I wish I was in Edinburgh.

Your thoughts? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

It's weird how even though I am CityFibre, we're both getting a lot of Edinburgh IPs...makes me think it really is a Vodafone problem and not a CityFibre one. 

View solution in original position

8 REPLIES 8

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

I used the vodafone broadband speedtest (Ookla)

I wasn't aware Vodafone had their own (branded) version of Ookla (speedtest.net), but for anyone else surprised by this, here it is. Internet & Broadband speed test | Vodafone UK

Are you on FTTC or FTTP? Have you tried getting a few different IP addresses to see if if it makes any difference to your apparent point of presence.Jayach_0-1655992093394.png

Ripshod

I've had various IPs since I moved to FTTP, resolving to anywhere across the central regions of the UK. Recently though I've noticed a tendency toward Scottish IPs, Edinburgh in particular.

Previously I was constantly getting pings around 8ms from the Vodafone Manchester which are now around 21ms. I haven't tried to London yet, I bet that would be interesting.

*edit*

It was, 24 ms to Vodafone London. 

Ripshod

I've also tested to Razorblue Leeds, my normal go to because of it's reliability and being so close.

23ms, with a download speed of just 71Mb where I usually get 108.

I'm on Superfast 100.

Screenshot_2022-06-27-14-14-26-82_c0dc27f5c07cb0fb3541d6073dfd6932.jpg

htyaH
13: Advanced Member

It's weird how even though I am CityFibre, we're both getting a lot of Edinburgh IPs...makes me think it really is a Vodafone problem and not a CityFibre one. 

Ripshod

I'm going to answer this one myself.

Manchester BNG is down for upgrade so I'm being routed via the closest BNG that has capacity, namely Edinburgh.

@Jayach I think this is directly connected with the other thread and I should rejoin it. Your thoughts? 

Jayach

Well from what @htyaH says it does sound like the two problems are related. However as you seem to be specifically affected by the Manchester upgrade, maybe wait until that is completed?

I think you call that "sitting on the fence".

Jayach

@Ripshod wrote:

Manchester BNG is down for upgrade so I'm being routed via the closest BNG that has capacity, namely Edinburgh.

Strangely using a reverse trace-route as suggested by @Gerry_Atric from https://dnschecker.org/online-traceroute.php my entry point to the internet appears to be

ae8-xcr1.man.cw.net (195.2.9.98)

Which suggests I am still routed via Manchester (despite being less than 40 miles from London)

Curiouser and curiouser.

Ripshod

With a ping to anywhere the1st hop (the gateway) I'm stuck to is 90.247.128.1 is identified in RIPE as edbtn1_bng-c1. So even with the multiple IPs I've had today I'm constantly routed through that one Edinburgh BNG. Sounds like your on the backup BNG at Manchester, but then with limited capacity on the whole network I'm not surprised everyone is having problems. There are so many users out there that aren't even aware of these problems because they only use the net for browsing or downloading.

For a laugh I did a RIPE search on the BBC gateway and that came out as BIGFELLA_P11C-SOUTH. You couldn't make this up lol